Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals Defense - 4-3 or Nickel Base?
(02-21-2024, 07:46 PM)J24 Wrote:  Communication was an issue  no doubt but acting like that was the only issue last season is silly and that the defense will do 180 based solely off better communication is silly. We need to improve in a lot of areas of the defense from pass rush, run defense, and pass coverage. Every unit on  defense needs to be properly scrutinized! 

Improved communication leads to being in the right spot at the right time to proactively make a play. They have drafted some tremendous athletes to restock the secondary, it's going to be really fun watching them come into their own this year.  I agree that every component of the defensive unit needs to be scrutinized, but there were easily understood reasons for many of the issues with defense last season.  On the DL, Hill and Hendrickson had career years in pass rushing, losing Reader and having Hubbard out and then back playing injured really did a number on the run defense when we needed it most.  As I explained previously, the LBs were in turmoil over what to do on many occasions, simply from not being sure of who had what covered behind them.

Yes, it's really easy to point at a stat sheet and say "we've got issues here", but the thing to do is look at the entire group and see where the problems were and decide if some things will take care of themselves or if personnel changes need to be made.  Right now, I'm counting on Hubbard coming back strong to play out his contract, that would leave Reader and Awuzie as the only starting players needing replaced.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Bengals Defense - 4-3 or Nickel Base? - SunsetBengal - 02-21-2024, 08:01 PM