Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Which FA do you want if money did not matter?
(02-23-2024, 11:19 AM)ochocincos Wrote: It's not that I wouldn't like to see Madubuike as a Bengal, it's that I don't think it will happen given the $$ being put into the DL already and not likely moving Hill back to a rotational player.

According to PFR and PFF, BJ Hill had 14 QB Hits.
That's much higher than the 4 he had in 2021, when he had 5.5 sacks. That's 10 times coming in contact with the QB.
So while he didn't get as many sacks in 2023, he did have 19 instances of making contact with the QB.
So he's still getting to the QB, just not getting a ton of sacks.

On to the salary part...
Madubuike is evaluated at $20 mill APY according to Spotrac. Obviously, that might be somewhat lower, but I don't think it will be too much lower.
BJ Hill's base salary this year is $7.2 mill and a $10.8 mill cap hit.
That's a hefty price for a rotational player, even if it is his last year.
I just can't see the Bengals keeping Hill at that price point without making sure he gets 700+ snaps. They'll either have him as the primary 3T, cut him, or renegotiate his contract to get that cost lower such that it's more inline with a rotational player.

What I could see more likely is adding some cheap vet rotational guy (maybe $5 mill or less) and draft a guy (or two) to go with Hill and Carter.
Carter is a 3rd round pick and needed development given he was kind of in between DE and DT, so I'm willing to give him this year before I am fully ready to move on.

Heck, maybe with Murphy's improvement last year, could we see Hubbard swing inside some more like we used to see a few years ago, adding that interior pass rush?

Yeah, I don't think we will sign Madubuike either, he will cost a lot, it is just my answer to your OP. But I do think we will sign a decent DT in 
FA, whether that is a 3-tech or a Nose Tackle I don't know. Christian Wilkins makes the most sense with the Dolphins not having a lot of cap 
space and our DL coach Hobby's ties to him at Clemson. BJ Hill is a good player as you show with the stats, keep him no matter what this year
is my vote. Carter should of shown something last year, 5 pressures in all those snaps is pathetic, sorry, not giving him another year after that.

More Hubbard inside on passing downs with Murphy at End sounds good to me. Hubbard was injured last year for a lot of the year so he should
be much better if he can stay healthy this year and I liked what I saw of Murphy late last season. I have high hopes for MM.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Which FA do you want if money did not matter? - Nate (formerly eliminate08) - 02-23-2024, 04:06 PM