Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Bunch of Reasons We Can Win a Playoff Game (or two) with AJ McCarron
(01-03-2016, 09:14 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Nobody on the planet other than a small minority of Bengals fans and Alabama fans actually believe McCarron is anywhere close to Dalton's level. The difference is quite clear when you watch them and even clearer when you check the stats. 

- In 3 starts, McCarron's stats would project to 2944 yards and 21 TDs in 16 games.
- In Dalton's 12 complete games, he was on pace for 4255 yards and 33 TDs.

- The offense has converted 35.0% of their 3rd downs over the last 3 games.
- They converted 43.0% with Dalton.

- The offense has averaged 276.0 total yards over McCarron's 3 starts. That average would easily rank dead last in the NFL. STL (32nd) averages 293.1.
- The offense averaged 100 yards more with Dalton (376.0)

- Dalton averaged 8.42 YPA, which ranked 2nd in the NFL
- McCarron averaged 6.65 YPA in his 3 starts. Mostly dink and dunk and protecting the football.

- Dalton was sacked 20 times in 386 attempts (once every 19.3 attempts)
- McCarron has been sacked 12 times in 119 attempts (once every 10 attempts)

So to sum it up, McCarron isn't leading the offense like Dalton, he's mostly completing short throws to protect the ball, not throwing for nearly as many yards and TDs, and he's getting sacked twice as often. Dalton is better and it's not close really.

I will say this, I like the way they're handling McCarron. Let the players around him make plays and limit his chances for turnovers. We'll have a shot next week.

I think you're ignoring the difference in sample size, the difference in competition (McCarron has faced 2 of the top-7 defenses in his 3 starts), and the difference in experience.

QBs get sacked less often as they gain experience (unless your name is Kolb or Krieg), QBs get better at decision-making as they gain experience, and it's a common refrain to hear "the game slows down" as they gain experience.

Of course McCarron isn't leading the offense like Dalton, Dalton has started 70+ more games than McCarron in the NFL.  Dalton has been throwing to these WRs and passing behind this OL for years.

I'm absolutely shocked at how so many Bengals fans can't appreciate having a QB come into a potentially disastrous situation and lead the team to a 2-1 record in his starts with the only loss an overtime game at the difficult environment of Mile High and the likely #1 seed in the AFC.

A bunch of complaints and people throwing shade on the guy when all things considered, I doubt there are many backup QBs in the NFL who could have come in and done the same.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: A Bunch of Reasons We Can Win a Playoff Game (or two) with AJ McCarron - BigSeph - 01-03-2016, 09:37 PM