Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Report: Bengals are trying to sign Tee Higgins long term
(02-25-2024, 12:00 AM)Nepa Wrote: Jesse James analysis was, indeed, insightful. I do have some skepticism about his first point: "If the Tag is official, this allows for possible, fruitful trade discussions at the combine. Remember, teams cannot discuss trades involving players that are not on their roster. Until officially tagged or signed, Tee cannot “legally” be discussed regarding trades. Realistically, this would be the main reason Tee was tagged at this time. Otherwise, teams wait and see if an extension can be worked out due to the negative stigmas players and agents have of the tag.) "

The reason I'm uncertain, is that to be official Tee would have to sign the tag and who knows if he would do that before the combine. I suspect not.

His third point, however, is something I hadn't considered and is intriguing: "The double tag scenario is very much at play here. The tag next year would be roughly $26,160,000 (120% of Tee’s contract in ‘24) or whatever the tag amount is next year, whichever is higher. This is still less than I imagine DM (Tee’s Agent) is asking for. Between ‘24 & ‘25, Tee would be getting almost $48 million (also guaranteed). This # is less than the $25m aav I have seen is being tossed around (not verified). Considered a win for the Bengals."

If the Bengals file the franchise tag paperwork with the NFL they have control of Tee for another season even if he doesn't sign the tag meaning they can negotiate a trade. 

This happens every year. 
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Report: Bengals are trying to sign Tee Higgins long term - Synric - 02-25-2024, 10:21 AM