Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AI is here, and we are in trouble
(02-27-2024, 10:40 AM)CKwi88 Wrote: I can definitely see this. As a white-ish collar worker, about 95% of my administrative duties could easily be replaced with a machine. I've been able to automate much of my work just through custom Outlook signatures. Imagine if I had the know-how to write some simple if "x" then "y" code for the computer to do it for me. 

Thankfully, AI can't quite replace my skill-based duties. Although even on that front (language interpretation and translation) machines have made great strides in the past years. I've worked with computer-assisted translation software for the past 7-8 years, and it used to be laughably bad. Bad to the point that even if I ran something through an AI translator it would be just as much work to fix the translation as it would to just do the translation from scratch. Now AI is even able to (with enough prompting at least) even accurately translate judicial concepts from Brazil into state-specific equivalents from here in the US. 

Then again, if we ever make an AI that masters language to that level I'm of the opinion that will mean we've created AGI which will not have me worrying for my job but our species' very existence.

I have written so many macros to do some of the repetitive and mundane tasks I have done in my job as well as created scheduled queries to pull the data. A week of work and it changed a 3-hour a day task into 15 minutes and just a handful of clicks.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: AI is here, and we are in trouble - Belsnickel - 02-27-2024, 09:59 PM