Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How does probable Tee tag change our draft thinking
(02-28-2024, 07:05 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: What about Brian Thomas made you "weary"?  For a CFB WR2, he put some pretty good stuff out there.  I mean for a second option on pass plays, he's pretty damned good.

He has tantalizing size/speed, and no doubt possess a lot of upside.  First, I want to clarify that I don't necessarily dislike him as a prospect.   I tend to get wordy in my posts and next thing I know, I've written War & Peace, so I'll try and answer but keep it from being annoyingly long lol.   He does need work on his route running, but IMO it goes a bit beyond having a limited route tree.  He can look almost lazily running his routes on plays where he knows that he isn't getting the ball, and also in "selling" his routes.  Not that he can't block, but his effort is inconsistent in doing so (funny, bc other times you can see him actually blocking down the field running with the play).  A lot of his splash plays are created by a stop and go or shoulder fake, then burns the defender with his speed.  I wonder if he will be able to be able to get away with this against physical NFL corners who know his tendencies unless he develops a much more diverse arsenal.    Lots of these things can be refined with coaching and work, but in a nutshell, my biggest concerns- and what makes me most "weary"- to answer your question, are the areas related to effort (and essentially his make-up/character).  The inconsistent effort stuff trumps the other things, bc to realize all of that potential and reach his ceiling, it will take work, dedication and effort.  Having said all of that, he blows the doors off of his defender when he gets a free release or step on him.  His highlights are fun, because his speed and explosion shows on tape.  And if he ends up becoming a star wr, I won't necessarily be surprised.  I'm just saying that he has some legit bust potential go along with that upside. Already getting too long Tongue, I'll stop here 
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: How does probable Tee tag change our draft thinking - Dr.Z - 02-29-2024, 12:25 AM