Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Which FA do you want if money did not matter?
(03-01-2024, 04:48 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Should there be interest? I think we'd all want there to be.
I think basically everyone would think Byard would/could give this secondary an immediate boost.

Will there be interest though? 
I am not so sure, as that might be bailing from Hill too quick and Bengals haven't typically been interested in 30+ year old FAs other than Riley Reiff as a one-year stopgap.

If they would look to move Hill out of that starting spot though, I think it would make the most sense to move him to slot and prep to replace Hilton after this season.
But man, that would be a disappointing rookie campaign for Hill to basically miss entire rookie year, start as a sophomore and do well for about half the year, then get moved to a new position and essentially demoted to a backup again until the incumbent starting slot departs.

Dax would still get a ton of playing time especially when we are playing in Big Dime packages with Dax playing Slot Corner. This is Hilton's last 
year of his contract. Need to prepare for his departure and Dax was our best defender against TE's last season and has way more length than 
Hilton.

I would love it if we brought in Byard who is a very intelligent Vet with tons of experience. 

(03-01-2024, 06:25 PM)samhain Wrote: I think my answer to the OP is Antoine Winfield Jr.  I feel like getting a near elite veteran safety would move the defense back to where they were in 2022.  I also think that the team views help in the secondary as more of a need than fans might.  Lou is a DB coach at heart, and his defense requires high-end football intelligence in the secondary to be effective.  

I'd try to bring back Reader on a 1-year deal with an injury discount, draft a young DT on day 1 or 2, then plug Winfield in as the new starting FS.  His impact on the Bengals' defense could be similar to Roquan Smith's in Baltimore.

Highly unlikely, but one can dream.

Yes, that is the dream pickup at Safety.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Which FA do you want if money did not matter? - Nate (formerly eliminate08) - 03-01-2024, 07:57 PM