Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Which FA do you want if money did not matter?
(03-01-2024, 06:25 PM)samhain Wrote: I think my answer to the OP is Antoine Winfield Jr.  I feel like getting a near elite veteran safety would move the defense back to where they were in 2022.  I also think that the team views help in the secondary as more of a need than fans might.  Lou is a DB coach at heart, and his defense requires high-end football intelligence in the secondary to be effective.  

I'd try to bring back Reader on a 1-year deal with an injury discount, draft a young DT on day 1 or 2, then plug Winfield in as the new starting FS.  His impact on the Bengals' defense could be similar to Roquan Smith's in Baltimore.

Highly unlikely, but one can dream.

It is a good dream. I'd dream bigger. 

I mean, I think we have $44 mil or so in cap practical cap space. IDK what Reader will cost Y1, but I'd hope less than $10 mil. For gits & shiggles, say $8 mil. $36 mil left. Cut Scott. $38 mil. 

If we can free up $7 mil more with restructures, that is $45 mil. A $20 mil guy, a $15 mil guy, and a $10 mil guy. Or 3 15's. 

I mean, I think it likely Winfield is tagged. Onwenu, too.  But, say, Reader + L. Williams ($15) + vet safety ($10 or less) + Elumuenor + Townsend is doable even without any restructuring. With some restrucuring, one of a higher quality FA OT, Schultz, Chido, & Boyd is in play. 
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Which FA do you want if money did not matter? - Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 - 03-01-2024, 08:16 PM