Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Report: Bengals are trying to sign Tee Higgins long term
(03-02-2024, 04:08 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: OK, how to respond? I have largely said my piece here. 

First, I am fully aware stopping the run is a necessity. That is why I am arguing for bringing Reader back. And not just on some one year, cheapie, "if the price is right" type of deal. He is the best run stopper out there by a country mile. I would hope the injury would lead to a mildly cheaper deal, but I fully expect it to be around $8-$10 mil year1 vs cap and more in Y2 or Y3. 
We still have $34-$36 mil in cap, without cutting (Scott) or restructuring anyone. 

Second, the staff & FO seemed to finger the safeties for some of the LB/run defense issues. We had been pretty stout vs the run with the same front 6 before. I think a vet S will go some distance to fixing those problems, or at least improving them. It is a good S FA class, and the glut should mean bargains are possible. Say $6-$8 mil. Plus you get to cut Scott as a result, so now at around $28-$32 mil left. 

Third, I am much more concerned about NT come December than I am in June. I think Tupou (UFA), can be brought back for MIN salary. He is not great but we can

DT & RT still need addressed. And even if you want to lock in at one at #18 (CB or Bowers are your other options), I am not sure I want to count on a rook to protect Burrow's blind side. Latham or Fuaga I am OK with it, but both could be gone by #18. Mims or Guyton? I might want a stopgap RT.  Murphy is probably gone at #18. 

Outside of Onwenu, none of the FA OT prospects would make me pass on a stud RT prospect (Fuaga, Latham, Guyton, Mims). One of whom WILL be there at #18. Bowers would if I have a stopgap (Smith, Brown, Eluemunor) in hand, but I seriously doubt he is there. Plus, landing a stopgap FA will be harder if they know we are likely to go OT at #18. 

For the sake of argument, let us plug in OT at #18. Committ to Sweat/Jackson at #49. And assume Tee stays, Reader is inked and back sometime, and we land a vet S for around what I guessed earlier. 

What does FA have to look like to make me feel comfortable doing that? 

1. We have to land a DT who can upgrade Carter & rush the passer. If we haven't, I draft DT instead of NT Rd2 (if not CB/WR). 

Leonard Williams would be my pick. $15 mil. Roughly $15 mil left in piggy bank. 

I do not trust Rd4 to get a starter level guy at TE/WR3/CB4. That means I need FA to take 2 off the board. Or OT. Or more Day 2 picks. 

I'd be more comfortable living with Tupou/Jordan Jefferson at NT until DJ comes back, with Williams & Hill playing some NT, than relying on a Rd4 pick at WR3/TE1/CB4. 

Obviously, YM has varied. Which is fine. 

I am starting to warm up to Mims or Guyton at #18, but like you said, need a bridge in FA. 
Topuo needs to be shown the door. We disagree here, but he hasn't shown anything since he was drafted. He is just a big fat slob that has a hard time getting up off the ground.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Report: Bengals are trying to sign Tee Higgins long term - sandwedge - 03-02-2024, 06:59 PM