Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Report: Bengals are trying to sign Tee Higgins long term
The Bengals are not gonna trade Higgins ynless it is for a VERY lopsided trade.

Higgins & change for Jefferson. A first AND another day 2 pick. Something like that.

And that won't happen due to the WR strength in the draft. But beyond the top 3 (Harrison, Nabers, Odunze) the chances of getting a guy who matches Higgins in year 1 is low. And we do not want to go backwards.

We will let Yoshi & Jones develop for a year. Maybe draft a Day2 Boyd replacement or bring him back for cheap. Tag & trade on the table next year, though.

This year, I think priority #1 in FA will be DT. Jones/Wilkins/Williams. If we land one, the we downshift to Reader and a vet safety. With what is left, then best value between RT (Eluemunor?), CB4 (Chido?), WR3 (Boyd?), TE (Fant?), P (Townsend?), and maybe a IOL uograde.

If we whiff on a premium DT, then I'd make a run a premium OTs (Smith, Onwenu) instead, with the rest the same.

I think we have too many holes to land 2 big fish (Wilkins, Onwenu) and leave the rest to the draft & min guys.

I'd rank them:

1. DT (2). Need at least two Run stopper, plus interior pass rush guy. There are some draft guys that could help. Murphy or Newton Rd1. Sweat, Jackson, or a number of DTs Rd2-4. But there are also ELITE 3Ts in FA (Jones, Wilkins, and Williams is close) and an elite run stopper (Reader). If Reader is one of the two, we may need to draft a NT type to uograde/cover for him while he recovers. Though a lower priority if we have Wilkins or Williams or Jones,,who are all good vs the run.

2. RT. If DT isn't our biggest need, RT is. But the quality of FA RTs is lower, and the abundance of available RT guys in Rd1 is MUCH higher. Onwenu has been mostly a guard and Smith is 33 with few healthy seasons recently, though last year was one. The appeal of signing a RT in FA is it opens up the draft. If Bowers falls, we could nab him with RT spoken for. It is a powerful fantasy. But most likely, just that. Bowers is likely long gone before #18.

Now, if we whiff in premium DTs, or somehow can restructure enough guys to create enough space so I can sign a DT, Onwenu, and have enough to fill 2 more holes (Reader, vet S, CB4, WR3, TE) then I am OK. If not, then no.

Basicall. y, I am willing to count on my Day 1 & Day 2 picks to fill needs (RT, WR3, +TE/CB4) but not Rd4 & beyond unless you are talking P or LB/RB depth, CB5, IOL depth, etc.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Report: Bengals are trying to sign Tee Higgins long term - Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 - 03-06-2024, 12:44 PM