Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The argument of "Playoff Teams"
(01-02-2016, 11:30 PM)TexasorBusted Wrote: You twisted my arm. Let's call the Texans loss at home on MNF a bad loss to a bad team. Let's see how all of the other playoff teams handled their schedules:
Vikings lost to the 49ers in Week 1 on MNF.
Cardinals lost to the Rams at home in Week 4.
Panthers lost to the Falcons in Week 16.
Packers lost to the Lions at home in Week 10 and the Bears in Week 12 on TNF.
Seahawks lost to the Rams in Week 1 and the Rams again in Week 16.
Redskins lost at home to the Dolphins in Week 1 and Cowboys in Week 13 on MNF.
Bengals lost at home to the Texans in Week 10 on MNF.
Broncos lost at home to the Raiders in Week 14.
Patriots lost at home to the Eagles in Week 13.
Chiefs lost at home to the Bears in Week 5.
Texans lost to the Falcons in Week 4, Dolphins in Week 7 and Bills in Week 13.
Jets lost at home to the Eagles in Week 3, Raiders in Week 8, at home to the Bills in Week 10 and Texans in Week 11.
Steelers lost at to the Ravens in Week 4 and Ravens again in Week 16.

So every team in the playoffs plus Steelers has a bad loss by your definition.
Not sure what you are getting at. We maybe talking past each other, but this feels like "Water is wet" type stuff. I never went through each teams' losses, but the Bengals stack up well in that department pretty well...

By "my" definition? And what definition is that? I think you're misconstruing what I'm saying.

Again, I understand that good teams lose to bad teams, and I'm not denying that it happens. What I'm saying is that I take issue with people covering up the Texans loss by saying "We lost to a playoff team" when that is really just an excuse to ignore the fact that we played badly against a bad team, which shouldn't have happened. Yes, good teams do lose to bad teams, but good teams shouldn't go 4 quarters without scoring a touchdown against a bad team at home (assuming said team doesn't have key injuries etc...) It is actually very possible to play good against a bad team and still lose. Just because good teams lose against bad teams does not mean that all those losses were "bad" ones. The Bengals loss however was definitely a bad loss to a bad team.

(01-03-2016, 12:57 PM)Rhinocero23 Wrote:
Quote:This is spot on. Teams change throughout the season. The OP point is primarily a good team should not lose to a bad team. It maybe better stated that a team with a good record should not lose to a team with a poor record. That seems to be a logical statement however there are far too many variables for it to be that simple: scheme, matchups, familaraily the flu, a nagging injury, lack of motivation (playoffs already locked up) all will play a factor in "any given Sunday".

Well you are partly right that part of my point is that a good team shouldn't lose to a bad one (assuming there aren't variables that effect their play significantly such as key injuries etc..), but it is not my primary point here. My primary point is that Bengals fans and NFL fans in general should not be using the excuse that so many fans here are using that losing to the Texans somehow isn't a big deal because "They are a playoff team" or because "Other teams have lost to bad teams". Neither of those points is ever a good excuse for losing to anyone.

Quote:I look at it at the time of the game for exactly the reasond TexasorBusted stated. Take the KC game this year...they beat a 1-5 team that was not considered "good" nor did they have a good record. There are plenty on here that when the season ends will start talking about how the Bengals beat a "playoff" team in the  11-5 or 10-6 Chiefs as proof that the Bengals were really good. However they will give every excuse why they lost to teams with winning records at the time of the game (ARZ, DEN, PITT). This same group with then point to losses to the "playoff" teams like the Texans as more proof the team was good...SMFH! "Our only losses were to playoff teams...I am surprised we lost in the first round of the PLAYOFFS"...for real?

See, and this right here is exactly what I'm getting at.  People want to use the "Playoff team" argument as a way of legitimizing things when it's a very bad argument to make.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: The argument of "Playoff Teams" - Matt_Crimson - 01-04-2016, 03:09 AM