Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lackluster Free Agency Mock
(03-15-2024, 11:16 AM)OSUfan Wrote: Sunset, much respect. I do not come around much during the year but I am a draft junkie so I always pop in this time of the year. I first have to say I am surprised you have not liked their free agency moves. I really like the moves they have made up to this point, other than letting Reader get away but at the end of the day there is only so much money to go around and I trust them to have a plan while many of us may not like it or disagree with it.

I don't hate what they've done, I just feel like they sat on their hands that first day of early negotiating and then were forced into what I would call "panic shopping" as all the DL and Ts were flying off the board.  Sheldon Rankins is alright, but his numbers from last year were the anomaly.  If they were going to pay a back end of his career guy like Rankins $26M, they might as well had went full out after one of the young up and comers.  They talked about ending the revolving door at TE, now we have essentially the same TE room along with Gesicki on a cheap rental.  Really felt like they were going to grab a vet and sign him for 3-5 years..  Our own re-signs were all worthy, just not needle moving in terms of excitement.  At RB, I agree that it was time for Mixon to move on and certainly hope that they are planning on drafting another playmaker for the backfield.

I really think Sweat needs to be a priority in this draft and I just did a simulation with that focus. I am really uncertain that the Bengals will find him on the board at 49 and I would have no issue with them moving into the upper 40s to secure his selection. In my simulation I was able to make a trade to do just that with what I believe was a great value, our selection at 49 and a 5th round selection in '25. That allowed the Bengals to keep their draft capital this season while getting the player they targeted.

Honestly, either of the Texas DTs would be fine with me, they both are capable of playing NT, but Sweat seems more realistic as it would appear that we're likely aiming at RT in the 1st round. Though things could change if some team comes calling for Tee Higgins and they pick up additional draft capital.

I was a fan of Fuaga until I continued to watch film on him. I really think his lack of length is going to be difficult for him to manage in the NFL and I think players like TJ Watt are going to eat him up from a movement perspective. I absolutely would pass on him and target Fisher, Suamataia, or Amegadjie later in the draft.

At #18, Fuaga appeared to be a tremendous value pick.  Many boards have him gone by 12-15, and with the Bengals roster situation being what it is, there's no way that my first two picks aren't going to be RT and NT.  Guys like Mekhi Becton and Teair Tart are alright last resorts, but I hope they don't offer either of them longer than a  1 year deal, because both of those spots need to be occupied by lower costing players on their rookie deals to keep money free for extending/re-signing our own deserving players.

I am a big fan of the selections of Pearsall, Adams, and Smith. People need to watch the '22 tape of Adams to understand what you are getting from him as an inside player. I honestly believe he could walk in day 1 and be an upgrade over Volson, whom I think played much better down the stretch.

Yes, Fuaga isn't my first choice either, Latham is.  However, I'm really pleased with how the rest of the mock played out.  I sincerely hope that Ainias Smith's foot heals flawlessly, as that man could add some major excitement to the Bengals offense.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
Lackluster Free Agency Mock - SunsetBengal - 03-14-2024, 08:33 AM
RE: Lackluster Free Agency Mock - 3wt - 03-14-2024, 04:41 PM
RE: Lackluster Free Agency Mock - Jpoore - 03-14-2024, 07:13 PM
RE: Lackluster Free Agency Mock - Jpoore - 03-14-2024, 08:55 PM
RE: Lackluster Free Agency Mock - Jpoore - 03-14-2024, 11:53 PM
RE: Lackluster Free Agency Mock - Synric - 03-15-2024, 10:36 AM
RE: Lackluster Free Agency Mock - OSUfan - 03-15-2024, 11:16 AM