Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Arizona Bill Would Let College Students Appeal Grades If They Allege Political Bias
(03-16-2024, 12:51 PM)Nately120 Wrote: My parents were more liberal than I was, so they probably would have shown up and told the professor to go easy on me because I'll be cringing at my own viewpoints fairly soon.  Actually, now that I think about it my family and friends sort of let me bang my head against a wall and peter out of my "angry young man" phase on my own.

I think I told this story in one of the Nazi threads but you reminded me of it and how it relates to college ideas and ideals.

I ran the radio station on campus for two years.  This was 89-91 when terrestrial radio was still a thing.

We were only on campus with a very weak signal but it was more for the practice than to influence the listening audience...lol.

Anyway a "dispute" came up at a meeting near the end of my senior year because a bunch of the younger students wanted us to reformat the station to all "alternative" or music that all the other college stations were playing.  At the time we let each show pick their own music format.  Again, the idea was to practice and make something people might want to listen two for two hours a week.

Their idea got voted down.  A full vote of the members of the station decided that allowing people to do what they want vs forcing one format on them would allow for more people to want to be involved.

Not long after I found a note taped to the station door that called me a Nazi for "forcing my views" on everyone.

Again, we all voted.  And my "view" was to not force anyone's views on anyone.  They could still do their music we just were not going to make everyone do it.

My response, written on the bottom of the note and left in the same spot, was a section of Billy Joel's "Angry Young Man":

Quote:I believe I've passed the age of consciousness
And righteous rage
I found that just surviving was a noble fight
I once believed in causes too
I had my pointless point of view
And life went on no matter who was wrong or right

I noticed less arguing after that.

Some of those same kids are on FB now, and we have mutual friends.  They seem to have matured a good bit and want to allow people to be and do what they want as long as they aren't hurting someone else.

People grow, view change.  A little push back never hurt anyone when there is a mutual understanding.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Arizona Bill Would Let College Students Appeal Grades If They Allege Political Bias - GMDino - 03-16-2024, 01:08 PM