Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
If you're Jewish and you vote for Biden you hate your religion and hate Israel
(03-19-2024, 12:37 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Oh, the comment deserves the exact same level of condemnation, to be sure.

OK, good. I didn't really doubt you see it that way, but now whoever comes along and claims you did not condemn it (and usually they do come along) are already proven wrong.

(03-19-2024, 12:37 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: I don't know that I'd agree that Trump's is demonstrably worse.

That is of little importance, imho, which one is worse. I for one would label Trump's comments as antisemitic, I just feel telling Jews they hate their religion and should be ashamed for alleged un-Jewish behaviour is just that no matter the circumstance, but well. It's not for me to determine really.
That groups of the far left have some antisemitic tendencies is without doubt. They deserve condemnation for sure, maybe there's not enough of it (I really don't follow closely enough, but I believe your assessment). Imho, if a presidential candidate says things like that it is more impactful then when some protesters or a widely isolated Congressperson (Tlaib has little support within her own ranks, after all) say stuff, but that does not make the latter ok for sure. Or the former, for that matter.

(03-19-2024, 12:37 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: As for equal condemnation, that's a two way street.  Maybe Trump says so much stupid shit the impact of the latest one is lessened?

I can not quite see it that way really. How often would Biden have to make weird comments about blacks before the impact is lessened? Would it somehow be less bad if he had done it twenty times? I don't know.

(03-19-2024, 12:37 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: As I've frequently pointed out, Trump makes more than enough verbal gaffes, such as this one, that making them up, e.g. bloodbath, seems rather stupid to me.

For the record, I still don't totally agree with that in the bloodbath example. It is not exactly made up that he used the term. At the very least, Trump knows that some of his ardent supporters are willing to use violent means. Responsibly, he would have to be extra careful with expressions like that. I would bet there are people that took the bloodbath comment as some form of encouragement to turn violent should Trump lose the "last election". At this point, imho already irresponsible at the very least.
Admittedly though, Trump felt like clarifying the day after, which is why I probably would leave that bloodbath example out if I were to make a list of all nefarious Trump comments. As you said, there are indeed numerous less ambiguous examples around.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: If you're Jewish and you vote for Biden you hate your religion and hate Israel - hollodero - 03-19-2024, 12:59 PM