Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
If you're Jewish and you vote for Biden you hate your religion and hate Israel
(03-19-2024, 02:06 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Yes, I will concede that the remarks of a major POTUS carry far more weight.  I see what's going on in the Democratic party right now as mirroring the issues that the Labor (I'm not spelling it with a U you damn limeys!) Party is/has dealt with in regard to antisemitism.  There's a strange lack of introspection on the left into the racism of its own members, like it cannot possibly exist or is only a right wing phenomena  It is frequently claimed by many that it's not even possible to be racist towards white people, or that black people cannot be racist.  Both claims being obviously, and ludicrously, false, yet they still enjoy quite a bit of prominence.  It strike me as pointing out the speck in another's eye, while ignoring the log in your own.  Except in this case both eyes have logs in them.

I prefer calling out all the logs if possible, which admittedly I'm probably failing at. I do feel the inclination to defend liberals because of the grim alternative, and that sure skewes certain views, even if unintentionally.
As for antisemitism, it's not just GB. I wouldn't expect you to know who Sahra Wagenknecht is, the new German face of the far left, that has several antisemitic and racist tropes within her party program too. It deserves to be called out, but I would caution against the appearance of whataboutism. No matter how nefarious certain portions of the left act, and no matter how lacking the response might be, it is not a justification for anything.

(03-19-2024, 02:06 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: My point being that Trump is known for saying over the top crap, hence the impact of them is lessened, whether it should be or not.  It's like the difference in your little brother swearing at the table and your grandmother doing it.  They may be saying the same thing, but the shock of them saying it is not the same.

Imho, at some point it appears like a double standard. In a family metaphor, to me it looks like scolding the one son that does some good and some bad, for each and every mistake he makes. Which probably often is justifiable on its merits. Just, at the same time, the other brother smashes the dishes, kills all the plants, tortures the cat and sets the house on fire. Ah, that's just your brother being your brother, do not distract from the dirty spot on your shirt!

(03-19-2024, 02:06 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: I still think you're giving him far too much credit for being sneaky here.  As I pointed out, the term is used to describe a dire financial result all of the time, to the point that it's in the dictionary as such.  You couple that with the clip being deliberately taken out of context and then the media onslaught of coverage/condemnation and it all looks very deliberate, calculated and intentionally deceitful.  And every time it's done it lends more credence, to more people, of Trump's claim to be the victim of a deliberate campaign by "the swamp" and that he's the only one who can stand between "us and them".  

I'm not unsysmpathetic to this point, I can at least see it. It's just... I know who the man is, I can not just evaluate that comment as a standalone. Eg. in the same speech, Trump praised the folks that committed violence on his behalf on January 6, called them spirited and unbelievable patriots. Imho, that adds a certain context as well, as well as a plethora of other comments from other speeches and tweets. And yeah, in my opinion him being sneaky with double-speak is one thing I will give him dubious credit for, on grounds that I see him do it all the time and it's far beyond the media misquoting him or ignoring context. I do not know for a fact that the bloodbath comment falls into this category, as stated there are many better examples, but at the very least he should have avoided the term in any case.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: If you're Jewish and you vote for Biden you hate your religion and hate Israel - hollodero - 03-19-2024, 02:38 PM