Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
If you're Jewish and you vote for Biden you hate your religion and hate Israel
(03-19-2024, 02:38 PM)hollodero Wrote: I prefer calling out all the logs if possible, which admittedly I'm probably failing at. I do feel the inclination to defend liberals because of the grim alternative, and that sure skewes certain views, even if unintentionally.
As for antisemitism, it's not just GB. I wouldn't expect you to know who Sahra Wagenknecht is, the new German face of the far left, that has several antisemitic and racist tropes within her party program too. It deserves to be called out, but I would caution against the appearance of whataboutism. No matter how nefarious certain portions of the left act, and no matter how lacking the response might be, it is not a justification for anything.

But I don't see calling it out, consistently, regardless of the offender is in any way whataboutism.  I completely agree that the actions of one person, in this regard, do not justify the actions of another.  But the condemnation should be consistent.  Using your example, I'm willing to be she gets far less coverage or concern that AfD does, for one example.  The perception that racism is a strictly right wing issue is dangerous and it is rather prevalent.

Quote:Imho, at some point it appears like a double standard. In a family metaphor, to me it looks like scolding the one son that does some good and some bad, for each and every mistake he makes. Which probably often is justifiable on its merits. Just, at the same time, the other brother smashes the dishes, kills all the plants, tortures the cat and sets the house on fire. Ah, that's just your brother being your brother, do not distract from the dirty spot on your shirt!

Of course it's a double standard, but to deny it occurs naturally is denying reality.  Shocking behavior from one person is normal for another.  Your reaction to said behavior will always be predicated by your knowledge of that person's behavior.

Quote:I'm not unsysmpathetic to this point, I can at least see it. It's just... I know who the man is, I can not just evaluate that comment as a standalone. Eg. in the same speech, Trump praised the folks that committed violence on his behalf on January 6, called them spirited and unbelievable patriots. Imho, that adds a certain context as well, as well as a plethora of other comments from other speeches and tweets. And yeah, in my opinion him being sneaky with double-speak is one thing I will give him dubious credit for, on grounds that I see him do it all the time and it's far beyond the media misquoting him or ignoring context. I do not know for a fact that the bloodbath comment falls into this category, as stated there are many better examples, but at the very least he should have avoided the term in any case.

He's literally hyperbole in human form, he's always going to be.  To me the overreaction of the media gets him off, he enjoys making them look stupid and they seem only to happy to oblige him.  If the media reaction had been more fair, e.g. actually shown the clip in context and acknowledge that he was referring to the auto industry, but then commenting on how his history of statements makes this seem more nefarious than it otherwise would, it would have given Trump, and anyone viewing the reaction, far less room to maneuver.  Instead they had a legit meltdown.  Look at Joe Scarborough's reaction for one example.  

https://x.com/ChuckCallesto/status/1769715448839364918?s=20
https://x.com/Chuckhttps://x.com/CitizenFreePres/status/1769726464507724182?s=20Callesto/status/1769715448839364918?s=20

Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: If you're Jewish and you vote for Biden you hate your religion and hate Israel - Sociopathicsteelerfan - 03-19-2024, 03:10 PM