Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
If you're Jewish and you vote for Biden you hate your religion and hate Israel
(03-19-2024, 03:42 PM)hollodero Wrote: Sure, it should, and it is not in many instances. That doesn't take away much from my initial point though.

One wonders how much better things could be if it was called out whenever it occurs.  I think a fair number of people are pushed towards the extremes by this type of disparate treatment.

Quote:It certainly is not a strictly right wing issue. That being said, the AfD gets more scrutiny mainly because they are just way way worse and way more explicit. No matter if it's the US or Germany or my own sad country, in all cases I would whole-heartedly agree that the racism problem on the right is way more massive and way more dangerous still. That sure does not mean racist tropes from the left deserve to be ignored or swept under the rug by means of ignorance or whataboutism, and that sure does happen. But I can still not put both sides on an equal level of scrutiny just because the media coverage is skewed.

Here I absolutely have to preface by saying I live in a very left leaning part of the US (maybe not so left leaning for Europe?).  That said I have heard significantly more racist statements by so called liberals and progressives than I have by more right leaning people.  Maybe there's something to the power dynamic, that it emboldens people to voice opinions they would not in an environment in which they felt themselves to be in a less dominant position.  The amount of self loathing white people in this part of the country is astonishing.

Quote:Oh, that it's a double standard took less convincing than I thought. I wonder about the conclusion though. Yeah it's natural to a point, that doesn't mean it's to be accepted. I am not willing to just accept words from Trump's mouth as normal that would be a scandal if anyone else but him had said the same thing. And I think that is fair, to ask what if Biden had said it, you vote for me or else you hate your religion and should be ashamed. You would not let that one pass coming from him, I'd assume.

It didn't take convincing because it's a natural human behavior.  We become acclimated to behavior.  A similar bad action by a person with a history of bad actions will provoke far less severe of a response as that of a bad action by a person with zero history in that regard.

Quote:Don' make me watch Joe... arrgh... welp, you did that now. Well, it was short enough and there's something I agree with, that "it'll be the least of it" makes it less plausible that he was strictly speaking in economic terms, just my take. But I do not deem people stupid for having another take. Generally, I don't need much convincing that MSNBC is almost exclusively an ultra-partisan assembly of manipulative hacks and that the news media in the US, on both sides, is pretty horrible, one-sided, manipulative and opinionated. Agreed, I'd have preferred if they took your suggestion, that is actually a pretty close characterization of my viewpoint. It's a sad fact that they are not inclined to be fair, they are inclined to whip their own in a constant frenzy. But imho, that is a bit of a side topic here. I don't give Trump a pass because the media covers him in an unfair manner at times.

I don't give him a pass either.  I am just consistently mystified by how much they play into Trump's game.  You are corre4ct, whipping up their viewers is a goal, but I think it's entirely genuine with them.  Their response that is.  As I stated above, people have an innate sense of fairness.  If they perceive one party as being treated unfairly they will tend to gravitate towards/sympathize with that person.  Even if that person is not deserving of either.  The media/far left has enabled Trump as much as anyone, and judging by this thread many still have zero clue they're doing it.

Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: If you're Jewish and you vote for Biden you hate your religion and hate Israel - Sociopathicsteelerfan - 03-19-2024, 04:04 PM