Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Trump Comes to Ohio and Threatens the Entire Country
(03-19-2024, 05:53 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: TBH. I have no issues against them being a state. 

In 2020, PR voted for statehood, the majority said yes at a 54%ish clip, unfortunately only 55% of all voters voted. So the DOJ said invalid results and their own government is mixed on it as well. Oddly enough, their Left leaning politicians do not want to be a State. They even have Extremist parties now that are against it and vying for power. 

It's a mess.

That results are invalid due to turnout seems unheard of. Only 70% participated in the Brexit vote, no one argued that the results should be invalid because of that. I wouldn't know too much about how the efforts actually died, but it seems democrats are in favor of statehood because they want the two senators, republicans are opposed because they don't want said senators and it's party politics deciding the fate of these citizens. The 2020 vote was not the only recent one where statehood got a majority either.

Now, if a majority of Puerto Ricans would vote against having all the rights of any US citizen, I'd be in a bind with my opinion. But in principle, I can not fathom not granting them representation and a vote when it comes to who's their president. Alas, it's not a hill I really plan to die on, aside from the fact that it is most certainly not undemocratic or even condemnable to want voting rights for all unblemisshed US citizens, which is why I opened this whole barrel in the first place.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Trump Comes to Ohio and Threatens the Entire Country - hollodero - 03-19-2024, 06:15 PM