Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Trent Brown signs 1 year deal with the Bengals
(03-23-2024, 11:50 AM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: Perhaps. Personally, I think we took Jones & Yoshi to do two things: upgrade the depth at WR (Stanley Morgan & Mike Thomas) and be a possible hedge vs Boyd & Higgins leaving. 

They aleady accomplished #1. #2 is possible, but neither guy is anywhere near convincing me they are ready to be WR2/WR3 on a contender. 

The Bengals don't seem convinced either, with our WR coach at the Texas pro-day (Mitchell, Worthy). 

Really, guys like Turner & Hill & Murphy have shown more than Yoshi & Jones. Turner & Hill played 2,000 snaps last year between them. Jones played under 100 (on offense) and most of those were vs Cleveland's backups. Yoshi was around 200-300, IIRC.

We have 4 top 100 picks. I'd say CB, WR, OT, and DT/NT are the top priorities for them ATM. Though what happens in FA & before us in the draft could change that. TE, IOL, and RB could be in play, too. 

We are scouting WRs and offering FA CBs contracts. I think it is safe to say both positions are gonna be addressed somehow. 

I think our biggest "holes" atm are a NT type to replace Reader and a WR3 to replace Boyd. Maybe there isn't a true TE1, but Gesicki/Sample/Hudson is already better than what we had last year.

With Brown & Brown, OT is not a hole, per se. But given Trent's injury history and 1 year contract and exceptionally deep OT class, a chance to draft a franchise level OT may not come around again.

CB is depth for the moment. Even if you buy Turner as CB2 and Hill moving to CB, Dax is likely a slot guy. Davis is. Ivey is inexperienced and had a major injury. Hilton in his last year, and we still need another boundary corner.

I guess I coukd be talked into IOL or TE if the right name is there. Or RB day 2. But I am hoping to see OT, NT, WR, CB be the next additions.

I understand what you are saying at WR, but there are only so many balls, when you have 3 veteran WRs in front of you, it is hard to get many reps.. so lets look at Jones rookie year.. games 1 to 4 the big 3 are healthy so little chance of getting much playing time then you miss game 4 to 10 then have to take a couple games to get back to playing shape. So really you are looking at 4 to 5 games of some type of playing time...
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Trent Brown signs 1 year deal with the Bengals - Essex Johnson - 03-23-2024, 10:45 PM