Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
I yearn for the days SNL and comedians were not political hacks in disguise.
(03-25-2024, 06:54 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: It's not about comedy with a political leaning in either direction.  The point being made is that the POTUS used to be made fun of, regardless of which party.  Politicians on both side were made fun of.  If Biden was POTUS during the 80's or 90's he'd be decimated on late night TV every single night.  The guy provides endless material and the occasional joke at his expense doesn't disprove the point being made.  I honestly don't care at all, I stopped watching late night shows entirely after Conan retired.  But to claim it's not horribly slanted now is just asinine.

I'm not saying it isn't, but you have to ask why right wingers left comedy behind.  Why isn't there a late night conservative comedian taking shots at Biden?  Or why isn't there a late night independent making fun of everyone?  Like I said, the right wing has Roseanne Barr and Jim Brewer and I'm sure some folks I don't even know because I can only refence stuff that is 25+ years old.

There are plenty of people on TV who take shots at Biden, they're just doing so on "news" networks.  It's like in the old days when infomercials would disguise themselves as news programs or TV shows.  It's the "Natural Health Show!" and we're going to talk about 1 single product and this is the only episode.

Late night shows make fun of Trump and Fox and Newsmax ring the alarm on Biden and his ilk.  Looking for right wing views in a comedy show or looking for Trump bashing on a right wing news network...that's like trying to drink whiskey from a bottle of wi-yiiiine!

And maybe it isn't related, but making fun of both sides probably doesn't fly now because Americans are more protective of their side and hate the other side these days.  When SNL made fun of Clinton and Dole in at the same time the country wasn't talking about having a civil war based upon the 1996 election results.

Also, Trump is a total wild card because he's the only president who was a celebrity and the subject of critique and jokes for decades before he became the face of a political party. There are multiple skits from 30+ years ago on Sesame Street alone that made fun of him.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: I yearn for the days SNL and comedians were not political hacks in disguise. - Nately120 - 03-25-2024, 10:41 PM