Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
I yearn for the days SNL and comedians were not political hacks in disguise.
(03-25-2024, 08:22 PM)Stewy Wrote: SNL is an equal opportunity insulting entity.

Someone has their MAGA panties in a bunch.

It certainly was.  I don't think it is  now.  No panties of any kind are required to notice this.  You don't need to be a partisan of any stripe to notice this.

(03-25-2024, 10:41 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I'm not saying it isn't, but you have to ask why right wingers left comedy behind.  Why isn't there a late night conservative comedian taking shots at Biden?  Or why isn't there a late night independent making fun of everyone?  Like I said, the right wing has Roseanne Barr and Jim Brewer and I'm sure some folks I don't even know because I can only refence stuff that is 25+ years old.

This is rather missing the point.  Late night comedy used to be rather politically neutral.  Essentially, whichever politician stepped in it got made fun of.  That no longer appears to be the case.

Quote:There are plenty of people on TV who take shots at Biden, they're just doing so on "news" networks.  It's like in the old days when infomercials would disguise themselves as news programs or TV shows.  It's the "Natural Health Show!" and we're going to talk about 1 single product and this is the only episode.

Whether it happens in other genres is completely immaterial to the larger point.

Quote:Late night shows make fun of Trump and Fox and Newsmax ring the alarm on Biden and his ilk.  Looking for right wing views in a comedy show or looking for Trump bashing on a right wing news network...that's like trying to drink whiskey from a bottle of wi-yiiiine!

You're essentially making Luvnit's point for him here, conceding that late night TV is now a left leaning safe space. 

Quote:And maybe it isn't related, but making fun of both sides probably doesn't fly now because Americans are more protective of their side and hate the other side these days.  When SNL made fun of Clinton and Dole in at the same time the country wasn't talking about having a civil war based upon the 1996 election results.

I'd counter that actually making fun of both sides when they do something that justifies being made fun of might actually go some ways towards reversing the trend towards a "civil war", as you put it.  Taking the piss out of everyone makes everyone equal.  Making everyone equal goes at least some ways towards making people view each other in the same fashion.  This is hardly a panacea in this regard, but it's at least a start.

Quote:Also, Trump is a total wild card because he's the only president who was a celebrity and the subject of critique and jokes for decades before he became the face of a political party.  There are multiple skits from 30+ years ago on Sesame Street alone that made fun of him.

Again, immaterial.  You're acting like Trump provides endless material while there is nothing to mine out of Biden/Harris.  This couldn't be more demonstrably false.

Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: I yearn for the days SNL and comedians were not political hacks in disguise. - Sociopathicsteelerfan - 03-26-2024, 12:23 AM