Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
I yearn for the days SNL and comedians were not political hacks in disguise.
(03-26-2024, 11:23 AM)hollodero Wrote: Oh you can make fun of Biden a little, sure. But it's just mostly harmless things that usually make him have some lovable quirks, like quoting him saying "Mularkey" or "I'm not kidding around here", or claim that he personally witnessed the civil war, all quality jokes... but you can not possibly go further or else you get lambasted, like Stewart got. That's the new expectation, that they do not really go after the powerful, only after the powerful on the Trump side of things. Eg. you only have to say the amount of dollars Trump has to pay in whatever lawsuit and people just cheer endlessly. That is not even comedy any more, and it's cowardly.

Admittedly, some are worse then others. But the bold, inconvenient political comedy seems gone aside from Stewart and maybe Maher, the rest is pretty much MSNBC'd. Which might be a result of a deeply polarized society, but it's sad nonetheless. OP, imho, has a point.

Yeah, most of the stuff by Meyers is harmless, but he still shows the older falls, slips, problems with stairs when none of the others bring up the past ones. And I think that the OP isn't quite remembering SNL correctly. I have the Peacock app and I went back about a year ago to watch a lot of ''The Not Ready For Prime-Time Players'' and the pacing was very slow and some of the sketches didn't quite live up to when I saw them as a kid, Samurai Night Fever specifically. George Carlin was on many of the early shows and some of his routines weren't comedy routines as much as they were hippy complaints about society and the government. Paul Simon would play songs with some commentary. Dan Akroyd as both Nixon and Carter were regular appearances

Here's a Pre-Trump era article from The Hill in 2015 about their favorite political sketches, with Rudy Giuliani getting in a positive quote.
https://thehill.com/video/in-the-news/232847-40-years-of-snl-political-sketches/

I'm more of the belief that Americans have changed far, far more than SNL has. No one was in their own media bubble back then.

Edited to add - I couldn't find the quote but in one of his post SNL interviews, Phil Hartman said one of the reasons that he left SNL was that it was getting less political and more towards Sandler's childish style of humor
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: I yearn for the days SNL and comedians were not political hacks in disguise. - Forever Spinning Vinyl - 03-26-2024, 03:35 PM