Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
Trump invited to wake of slain NYC police officer Diller
(03-29-2024, 02:51 AM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: Hmm let me think.... NO we shouldn't hold them to higher standards than we do Criminals.
It's all about Intent.
Criminals intend to commit crimes. LEO's intent is to prevent crimes. 

LEO's have to make snap life/death decisions with minimal facts. Do they always have a perfect outcome? No, and in that case you need to look at the LEO's Career and not base their punishment off of one incident. It needs to remain on a case by case basis. IE: 2 guys that have both been LEO's for 3-4 years, LEOA has a history of multiple bad outcomes, so based on his history, he's likely not a good candidate for remaining as an LEO. LEOB has only one bad come. That's the LEO I would go to bat for. 
Obviously there is also other variables in play. An LEO in Beverly Hills wouldn't be as likely to be in these types of situations as often as one in downtown LA would be.

Same question right back at you. Do you think they should be held to higher standards than ciminals?

LEOs should 100% be held to a higher standard. Police are agents of the state and every single agent of the state should be held to a higher standard. Our government should be a reflection of our ideals and those that act on behalf of the state should behave in that manner. Maybe this comes from me being someone who performs oversight functions on government agencies, maybe it is from my own values from Scouting and Freemasonry, but this is how our government should work. It will never be perfect, but that's why we have the policies in place intended to keep it in check.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Trump invited to wake of slain NYC police officer Diller - Belsnickel - 03-29-2024, 08:36 AM