Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
Trump invited to wake of slain NYC police officer Diller
(03-28-2024, 10:08 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: You're not wrong about Sicknick, but let's not pretend that Trump isn't talking about pardoning people who did actually commit violence against LEOs on January 6th. He is calling them heroes and hostages for violent actions against police, some of whom have pled guilty to that effect and many of whom show zero remorse. Would you not consider this to be an attack on the rule of law?

I wanted to give this post some real thought before responding, because it is a rarity here.  A sincere response to a position and a desire for constructive discussion.  Yes, I do think Trump pardoning the rioters would be an attack on the rule of law.  At the same time, I think some of the charges and sentences for some of, please note some of, the participants was extremely over the top.  I've seen literal murderers get far gentler treatment.  I completely agree that 01/06 was a horrific event, but the Dem response to it has been over the top and really helps fuel the martyr narrative.  Are the harsh sentences a necessary deterrent for anyone thinking about engaging in these types of actions in the future?  Maybe, but that flies completely in the face of the Democratic parties position on the criminal justice system, especially the past four years.  People note the inconsistency.

Quote:I'll be honest, were I in a demographic, be it through race, religion, profession, or anything else that was used as a political prop by politicians I would probably hate them, too. I am just often frustrated by people who don't recognize that neither party gives a shit about you, or any of us. Political parties as a whole are concerned about winning elections and they will shift their positions with the winds of public opinion. Do you think the GOP won't drop LEOs if they see it prudent just as quickly as they dropped free-trade when Trump told them to?

I think it's rather clear in my posts that I don't trust either party.  I do know which party has been taking steaming dumps on me, my colleagues and my very profession for the past four years, and it continues to this day.  So, while experience may vary, my view of the Democratic party is in the toilet.  I actively despise them now.  It's honestly a position I never thought I'd be in, being a lifelong Dem voter until the last time I voted for anything other than propositions and local elections, which was 2016.  What I have seen from the Dems, admittedly in a deep blue state, since then has been vindictive, petty, pandering, venal, willfully ignorant and racist.  This party actively puts the interests and well being of career criminals above the ordinary law abiding citizen.  All the while actively vilifying law enforcement, probation and parole.  And not shirking from outright lying while doing so.  So while I don't see the GOP as a great alternative, it is better at least here.  Admittedly not on issues like abortion or birth control, not at all, but where the hell else can a person turn?  

Quote:I really just hate partisan bullshit, to be honest. Neither party really lives up to my values or meets my views on things and I see them as nothing more than tribal designations which are erroneously used as identities even though the vast majority of people who claim them are outsiders looking in who wouldn't be given the time of day by those on the inside.

Indeed, couple this with the ever increasing need for many to apply labels to you if you don't align perfectly with party ideals.  Don't like gun control, Trump supporter! I could obviously go on.  I wish there was a legitimate common sense party, one that looks at an issue and addresses the pros and cons and then comes to a logical conclusion.  It wouldn't inflame passions, but damn it would be a breath of fresh air.

Quote:Sorry, feeling a little ranty this evening for some reason so just a mini-tirade of the idiocy of our current political system and the way people fall for the propaganda designed to divide them.

Seeing as how I kicked it off with a little rant of my own, after a particularly bad day thanks to politicians, no apologies are necessary.

Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Trump invited to wake of slain NYC police officer Diller - Sociopathicsteelerfan - 03-29-2024, 12:46 PM