Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
Trump invited to wake of slain NYC police officer Diller
(03-30-2024, 06:43 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Bel, I rather explained that in the post you responded to.  If he disagrees with it he should call it out.  If he finds being lenient to criminals, and the subsequent fallout, abhorrent, he should say so.  If he believes that, which he may, but says nothing then he's complicit.  You're literally asking what the face of the entire party can do about the politics of their party?  If he can't do anything who TF can?  Say he does believe that what these "progressive" DA's do is terrible.  Why does he say nothing?  Why does he allow the continued victimization of US residents by recidivist criminals to pass without comment?

You and I both know why, because he will not criticize his own party.  He won't risk a split between more centrist Dems and the "progressives" because it will hurt their electoral chances.  So, even if he is full square against these soft on crime DA's, which is a huge assumption, he says nothing about them and the damage they cause.  He is, at best, complicit and at worse in favor of them.  Either way he is culpable.  We hear a lot here, and rightfully so, of the cowardice within the GOP for failing to stand up to Trump or call out his excesses.  Why then does Biden get a complete pass on this, or any issue?  He shouldn't and he won't, not from me.

Biden has no authority over state or local officials. Absolutely none. I don't expect Trump, Biden, or any other POTUS to step on those toes because it isn't their place. Our federalist system is set up the way it is for a reason. Biden has a long voting record where you can see his position on law enforcement, including his signing the bill mentioned in the link I shared a couple posts above. He has been pushing for efforts to increase resources for community law enforcement since at least 2022, but has ben blocked by a Republican House. When it comes to things he has control over he has been much more in line with your positions than you realize. He has tried to walk the line of improving police accountability in an effort to appease the more progressive contingent, but I haven't seen him propose anything too radical.

As for him calling out state and local officials, well, it is political. Him putting this thumb on the scale when it comes to those things is not something looked kindly upon. It would create division in the party and, again, it is not something he is really in charge of. Political parties aren't ideological groups, they are there for electioneering. Biden doesn't demand loyalty among the party and the party doesn't fall in line with him on everything. I just do not understand the need for him to step outside of the bounds of his authority.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Trump invited to wake of slain NYC police officer Diller - Belsnickel - 03-30-2024, 07:00 PM