Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
Trump invited to wake of slain NYC police officer Diller
(03-31-2024, 12:57 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: It is hardly illogical.  Let's use another example.  Say Obama actually came out in support of same sex marriage early in his presidency.  Do you not think that would shift attitudes further down the line, that it would have a ripple effect within his own party?  People would take note, they would register that the leader of the entire party has made a public statement out of line with current party position.  If you don't think that would be a significant sea change for that issue you're fooling yourself.

If we compare apples to apples, though, we have seen Biden come out in support of stronger criminal justice policies. Not only does his voting record show it to be the case, but he has made statements and proposed budgets since in the White House indicating this. What you want is the equivalent of Obama coming down hard on some Democratic mayor for their position on same-sex marriage that runs opposite to his. It wouldn't be his place to do that.

(03-31-2024, 02:23 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Cool, you do you.  I find it pretentious, as I stated.  If I was at a social event talking to a person and they insisted on being called Colonel, Senator or Reverend I'd have the same reaction.

So, I think context is important. Do I ever call any of the people I know with doctorates, doctor? Hell no. Do I use the title when writing about them? Absolutely. There is a difference in those contexts. Were I a journalist writing an article about you or where you were mentioned it would be "Officer SSF" or "[insert rank here] SSF." Same goes for reverends I know, military personnel, etc. I hang around with an Army LTC on a regular basis. I certainly don't call him "Colonel," but when I wrote a letter nominating him for an award, you best believe his name was preceded by "LTC" or "Lt. Col." depending on the appropriateness. On the same token, I call my PCP Shawn but refer to him as Dr. [insert last name] when talking about him to anyone else.

FWIW, anecdotally, most of the academic doctors I know that prefer the title to be used are women, and it stems from the patriarchal conditions in academia in which they are often disrespected.

Also FWIW, and not necessarily just directed at you, but Jill Biden's doctorate is not a PhD. It is an EdD, and there are even some PhDs out there that consider degrees like that "not real doctorates." Academia is full of jagoffs.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Trump invited to wake of slain NYC police officer Diller - Belsnickel - 03-31-2024, 02:47 PM