Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
Trump invited to wake of slain NYC police officer Diller
(03-31-2024, 03:17 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Not really.  What I'd like is his pointing out that failing to actually enforce the law endangers the average US resident.  Honestly, I think if you and I were discussing this in person we'd burn through this topic in under ten minutes.  He doesn't have to name anyone personally, he just has to state the obvious, that enabling criminals is irresponsible and dangerous.  What I'd really like is a federal law requiring that any elected or appointed prosecutorial position require "X" years of experience as a prosecutor.  Prosecutorial discretion is absolutely necessary, but it was created by people in a time in which what is happening now was an inconceivable idea.  You have people running for DA, or equivalent who are flat out saying they will refuse to enforce certain laws.  They are refusing to use enhancements when appropriate.  I have zero issue with former PD's or private defense lawyers becoming judges, I have a major issue with them being handed the keys to the head prosecutor or US Attorney position.

The problem with what you propose is that it would be unconstitutional. The federal government does not have the constitutional authority to make such a law. I definitely think that there is a real need to think about who we put in positions, though. I seriously had someone approach me about running for sheriff in my county, which I told them was a stupid idea. There are roles out there that do not have requirements that really should. How many judges sit on benches around the U.S. that had never been a trial attorney before? This is a big problem in multiple areas of our criminal justice system, to be quite honest. I don't see us doing anything similar in other fields, but we're more than willing to put people in charge of this stuff who have zero real-world experience.

(03-31-2024, 03:17 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: This has been my exact same experience as well.  At the risk of being labeled a misogynist by the predictable parties I would add that nearly to a person they were very rude and condescending about it as well.  Whether that is due to your stated reason or not I obviously cannot attest to.

Depends on the individual. I know a few that walk around with a chip on their shoulder because of the academic environment. But then some of them are just shitty people. That's how the world works.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Trump invited to wake of slain NYC police officer Diller - Belsnickel - 03-31-2024, 04:04 PM