Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Bond slashed to 175 million while Trump appeals
(04-05-2024, 07:55 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: As someone who is a progressive, at least how the Roosevelts would have viewed it in the quotes in my signature, it bothers me so much to see these sorts of things. There are speakers who are intentionally seeking to incite responses from people, and those folks should not be invited to campuses not because of their viewpoints but simply because they are not there for civil discourse. We should always promote the free exchange of ideas in academia and those whose intention it is to cause a disturbance are not furthering that cause. Don't like someone's viewpoint? Hold counter programming. Share your opinions (signs are still in windows on my campus from the anti-trans speaker we had last year). But let them say their peace.

Even a deliberate rabble-rouser should be allowed to speak.  If their arguments are so easily refuted then allowing them to express them is a net benefit.  You are correct, it is painful to see.  I can recall some very odious speakers at my college, very racist "La Raza" speakers, self proclaimed Stalinists.  No one ever shouted them down or attempted to physically stop them.  We just ignored them.

Quote:Honestly, sometimes it is good to hear from these folks. One of my favorite events was listening to Carly Fiorina speak (she is on our board of visitors, though all I can ever think of when she is mentioned is her demon sheep ad, IYKYK). She has an interesting story and is a good speaker. I disagree with her on a lot of things, but I enjoyed the experience. Sometimes, I even read books written by right wing zealot types with premises I find highly frustrating and farcical. I would throw the book if I owned it, but I will only check it out of the library because I don't want to give them any money. At least they are easy reads; they have to play to their audience. Ninja

100.  If you are terrified of a speaker with opposing viewpoints it can only be because you fear the validity of their argument, especially in contrast to yours.  It's borderline religious at this point.  My father always said a faith that cannot withstand a good challenge is not a real faith.  As to reading those books, I can empathize.  I promised a friend I would read Ibram X. Kendi's "Antiracist" book.  The urge to burn that mother effer before finishing it was palpable.

Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Bond slashed to 175 million while Trump appeals - Sociopathicsteelerfan - 04-05-2024, 08:11 PM