Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Bond slashed to 175 million while Trump appeals
(04-05-2024, 08:11 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Even a deliberate rabble-rouser should be allowed to speak.  If their arguments are so easily refuted then allowing them to express them is a net benefit.  You are correct, it is painful to see.  I can recall some very odious speakers at my college, very racist "La Raza" speakers, self proclaimed Stalinists.  No one ever shouted them down or attempted to physically stop them.  We just ignored them.

Note that I specifically said "invited to speak." There is a difference between allowing someone to speak and inviting them. There is also a difference between the university itself inviting a speaker and a student org or some others doing so. There are some nuances there that I think are important.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Bond slashed to 175 million while Trump appeals - Belsnickel - 04-05-2024, 08:22 PM