Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 3.4 Average
I'm truly tired of hearing the fix the offensive line crowd!
(04-08-2024, 02:11 PM)tms Wrote: I did a deep dive on all the dynasties (or quasi-dynasties) of the past 40 years. I didn't check every team, it wasn't 100% comprehensive, but most of the major ones like Dallas, Denver, SF, NE, Indianapolis. Even threw in the Giants, Steelers and Ravens for good measure. All their offensive lines were centrally built not just on picks, but on high picks. They weren't necessarily All-Pros (Chris Snee and Will Beatty for the Giants come to mind) but they were high picks nonetheless. The Colts of 2006 had mostly Day 3's (Saturday, Jake Scott, Ryan Diem) but even they were led by a first-rounder in Tarik Glenn. Same with the Pats of 2004 (Matt Light). The 2018 Pats were a bit messier with third-rounder Thuney as their key guy, but even the cast around him (like Shaq Mason and Marcus Cannon) had been mentored earlier by high picks like Nate Solder and Sebastian Vollner.

This idea of a free agent carousel is largely unprecedented. The notable exception might be today's Chiefs, actually. But even they're stabilized by arguably the best OC in the game. I think continuity is important, and it all starts with high draftees you can put on 4 or 5-year contracts and groom into the system. Can't just run a group of rentals out there every year and expect them to thrive together. When push comes to shove, they might look like rentals. If we haven't been developing offensive linemen, the solution is to learn to develop them rather than give up altogether. In fact that's exactly what the coaches are paid to do.

Nice post TMS even if it makes me feel a little sad as I don't know if Pollack or our coaches can learn to develop our Draft picks on OL.

Maybe the new coaches we brought in will help along with our new OC in Pitcher. Heard that one of our new coaches has ties with Dalton 
Risner who is still out there so maybe we can bring in him or Connor Williams or Andrus Peat after the Draft to compete at the very least 
and add depth. I think we need to add a Tackle in the first 2 rounds for our future RT and wouldn't be against doubling up and adding an 
IOL to boot. We will see what we do.

I don't really care how it is done, not all early OL picks are hits as we all know all too well being Bengals fans.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: I'm truly tired of hearing the fix the offensive line crowd! - Nate (formerly eliminate08) - 04-08-2024, 02:37 PM