Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
Trump Announces Abortion now a state issue. He will not attempt a National ban
(04-09-2024, 11:21 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: The only attempted state ban I've heard of is in Texas and I've seen it here. As for your first sentence, I'm not against fewer regs on business. I've made it clear how I stand there. It's a free country and if you don't like a company's standpoint on something, then you don't have to give them your business. For the latter part, you're never going to convince me the GOP wants more regulations on individuals than the Dems do. 

This is something I always find fascinating. Maybe we consume news from different sources, or place different values on different rights, but I would say the exact opposite of the bolded. 

Off the top of my head, in my lifetime, the GOP has stood against:
  • Abortion
  • Other reproductive rights like plan B, birth control, and IUDs
  • Marijuana legalization
  • Gay marriage
  • Polygamy
  • Euthanasia
  • Drag shows
  • Gender freedoms
  • Alcohol (lived in a dry county, couldn't buy alcohol on Sundays in other areas)

I mean hell, we have a sitting supreme court justice who has mentioned revisiting the cases that allow birth control and same sex marriage. An Indiana senator backtracked, but did mention it was wrong to federally rule on interracial marriage and that should be left to the states. All of these are the state regulating individuals that I just cannot understand. All of these have minor, if any, impact on other poeple, yet many have been or are major platforms for GOP politicians. 

That isn't even mentioning things like freedom from religion. Deeply red areas and politicians have or have discussed requiring Christian messaging in public areas likes schools. Major GOP politicians have stopped local governments from making their own rules, which seems like the same issues just scaled down a level. 

Maybe I just value these individual liberties more than you, or we see these impacting others differently, but I find it difficult to stomach these regulations and claim that the GOP is better in this regard than the dems. 

What regulations do you see from the dems and how to you weight them against some of the above list? A couple major ones that stand out to me are gun regulations and the handling of COVID.  
[Image: what%2Bday%2Bis%2Bit.jpg]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Trump Announces Abortion now a state issue. He will not attempt a National ban - MrRager - 04-09-2024, 01:49 PM