Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals Board Fantasy Baseball (The Show)
(04-12-2024, 10:05 AM)TecmoBengals Wrote: I need to adapt. A pitcher taking an "L" kills the team. I relied too much on last year's strategy of starting a lot of arms on their day to take the mound.

Right, last years scoring system error by LM was a fluke.  Most seasons pitchers can put up negative points.  Not just L's but HR's kill you also.  Why one season I had Hunter Greene and many K's, but his league leading HR's were a ton of negative points. 

Still, teams that never use pitchers end up in last place. That is a fact. Each year you look at the last place teams of this league and the old league, and teams that never use pitchers all season are doomed for last place.  It is kind of a No Gut's, No Glory thing.  You have to at least try to put up pitching points. 

I will add, that if you have a nice lead going into Sunday, that it can be wise to bench pitchers to avoid negative points.  However if you need points on Sunday, you throw the Hail Mary and use any pitcher you can.  I remember some washed up pitcher for Cubs that I added Sunday morning who put up 30 to 40 points on Sunday Night game and I barely won the week due to that.  The washed up old pitcher never had such a good game again in MLB, but I threw the Hail Mary and he delivered that night.  Sunday Morning Pitching choices are huge.  I have had teams put up 200 points on me on Sunday, and wipe away what looked like a good lead and a weeks win, and of course it took Hot Pitchers for such a big day.

The first team that I took over at mid season had hitting but was worst in league in pitching. I tried to improve the pitching for about All-Star Game on, but not much help in free agency late in season. I thought I took that last place team and played teams tough second half of season, but taking over a team with no quality starting pitchers besides Sale that year was rough. I tried to trade hitting for some pitching, but no luck on that.

Don't give up on your good pitchers Tecmo. Good Pitching is hard to add as the season roles along. All pitchers have bad outings. A starter with a 10 point average on the season is Golden. Relievers won't have 10 point averages, but if they are positive and put up saves or holds or a ton of K's as middle relievers.

I see Bednar got a save tonight. Blown saves happen, and you have to ride those out if you think the guy might put up 20 saves or more.

I'm not trying to come off like a know it all. Just that the last place team I took over mid season of 2018 was dead last in pitching, and I found out fast that it is hard to win with pitching that bad. Everybody gets hit with negative pitching point streaks, but do not stop trying to put up pitching points.

That 10 points per game average stat is good, but beware, Sometimes a guy is back in the minors, like that guy Mets kept bringing up and down last year. Amazing a guy pitches that good and sent back to minors, but teams do it. 9 or 8 or 7 points a game is worth looking at. At least they aren't negative a bunch of points on the season. My first season and team I took over had Cobb who was suppose to be good, but he was all negative points. Well, 5 wins and 15 losses. We can see why the Orioles went with youth in a rebuild.

I'm going to have my negative pitching points and losing streaks. What I won't do is stop trying to put up pitching points. So hang in there Tecmo, and don't give up on Pitching because of a rough patch.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Bengals Board Fantasy Baseball (The Show) - kevin - 04-13-2024, 03:54 AM