Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
First Round Prospects You'd Avoid At All Costs
(04-13-2024, 10:30 AM)WhoDeyK Wrote: Dang, I'm a huge JPJ fan and I've seen nothing about a degenerative issue. Where did you hear this? 

I didn't hear anything until Dane Brugler mentioned some medicals in The Beast.

Quote:STRENGTHS: Has an NFL frame with above-average body twitch and snap-to-step quickness … efficient lateral shuffle to answer gap shooters (allowed zero sacks and only one pressure in 2023) … plays with a firm base and fierce hands to refit and stay centered in his pass-protection anchor … gets the most out of his average length and looks to remove defenders from their feet (led Oregon with 37 knockdowns in 2023) … quick to turn or wall off defenders i n the run game … has the functional range to get out in front on screens and second-level work-ups … alert versus defensive fronts and plays assignment sound … competes with a mean streak, and his fight-or-flight response is to match the opponent’s authority … the Oregon coaching staff raves about his toughness and dedication to his craft … one of the youngest offensive linemen in this draft class but carries himself like a veteran … has experience at all three interior line positions (893 snaps at center, 430 at right guard, 27 at left guard). 

WEAKNESSES: Sets tall at times with inconsistent knee bend … average hip roll and doesn’t consistently drive defenders off the ball … has the range to reach his blocking points but needs to get there with urgency and timing as well … will strengthen his sustain skills with improved post-contact leverage and mechanics … highly penalized as a junior, drawing eight flags (five false starts, two ineligible downfield and one unsportsmanlike conduct) … the medicals will be important after he battled multiple injuries, including groin and hip issues in 2023 along with multiple concussions over his career … only one full season of starting experience (just 16 starts on offense at Oregon). 

SUMMARY: A one-year starter at Oregon, Powers-Johnson emerged as a standout center this past season in offensive coordinator Will Stein’s zone-read, balanced attack. After filling in at guard his first two seasons, he won the starting center job in 2023 and became the fifth unanimous All-American in school history and first Pac-12 player to win the Rimington Award as the nation’s top center. A multi-sport athlete growing up, Powers-Johnson plays light on his feet in pass protection and as a run blocker, with the natural movement skills and stability at contact to torque and fend off defenders. With his contact balance and comp osure, he rarely appears overwhelmed on tape, although the defensive line play in the NFL is a giant leap ahead of what he saw in the Pac -12. Overall, Powers-Johnson’s inexperience is reflected in his technique, but he offers a fantastic combination of size, athleticism and toughness, with the skill set that translates to both center and guard. His game reminds me of Ryan Kelly, who won the Rimington Award at Alabama before becoming a first-round pick in 2016. 
 GRADE: 1st-2nd Round (No. 23 overall)
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: First Round Prospects You'd Avoid At All Costs - Synric - 04-13-2024, 10:50 AM