Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Police searching for Kansas City Chiefs player in connection to racing crash that inj
(04-15-2024, 10:41 AM)Sled21 Wrote: That's true, you can say it applies to everyone. The point I was making about athletes is a lot of them come from nothing, and all of a sudden, they have millions of dollars. They probably haven't driven much but go buy the most exotic high-powered car they can find and go out and street race it. The fact someone else just went through this same scenario and is going to spend years behind bars and not have a career for killing people just doesn't sink in with them. I'm telling ya, if I were a player's agent, I would be in his ear every day telling him to use a black car service and don't ever drive.

I read you loud n' clear, I just think it's has more to do with young males specifically having the biological and sociological triggers to do unsafe things.  I remember being a kid or teen or even when I was a young adult having "buckle your seatbelt, because god might not be able to protect everyone who is being unsafe" burned into my mind and being in situations with friends parents or friends and if other didn't buckle up I'd WANT to but I'd also be in a sort of internal panic where I knew if I was the only one wearing a seat belt I'd look like a total wimp and get made fun of for it. As a kid it was almost a shock to get into a car with friends and their parents and see nobody buckle up, because it was a thing I just assumed grownups knew was smart.

Add in that any time I tried to tell someone about wearing a seatbelt they conveniently had an uncle or cousin who was in a car crash and the police said the only thing that saved his life was actually not wearing his seatbelt.  I'm getting a bit off course, but the point is that I know for a fact I've done things that could have resulted in my own death via stupid fake bravado, so I don't excuse stuff like this but I think it's fair to point out there is a sort of unhealthy obsession in our society with "acting cool and acting tough" and if you aren't doing those things when you're a young male you are at risk of being tossed out of the "real man" tribe.

Now I'll admit with pro athletes they have more of an immediate reason to be smart and safe.  They'll make millions doing something that will get them laid and make 'em famous.  Still, you have to be able to see what you'd lose even if it's long-term. My buddy who drove like an absolute nut and could have easily killed himself or others and ruined his life is 41 now and runs a family business, has a swell wife and 4 kids.  Sure, he's never going to have  SB ring or have "FU money" but he could have thrown away a whole lot by driving like an idiot because "that's what you do unless you are gay or something."

Sorry for the rant, I'm just quite the society watcher.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Police searching for Kansas City Chiefs player in connection to racing crash that inj - Nately120 - 04-15-2024, 12:09 PM