Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Judge pressing jurors to see if they are impartial
I was listening to one of the attorneys for Johnny Depp talk a little about jury selection in cases with high profile clients. While that was civil rather than criminal and Trump and Depp have different types of notorieties, there are some similarities. There will be the obvious exclusions, of course, but just being a MAGA supporter or a Dem doesn't mean automatic disqualification. Either side can potentially set those preconceived notions aside to adjudicate a case fairly. It is a certain mindset, but those folks do exist. The number of times I have had to let a kid who I 100% knew committed sexual misconduct get away with it because the evidence wasn't there to support the finding would astonish you. It's all about going with the head and the law, not with the heart.

Also, they will be looking to weed out anyone, whichever side, who follows these things closely. When they get a panel of jurors they will ask open ended questions to get an idea of how much they may know about not just this case, but all the legal cases for Trump. Someone who follows that news closely will be bad for the jury.

There is obviously a lot more to it, but this is standard stuff. I remember when I was chosen for jury duty one of the questions was if we had someone in our lives with mental illness. Well, the case was for a lady the state was trying to commit involuntarily. Some of us that raised our hand for that stuck around because of answering other things that indicated we could remain impartial and follow the facts of the case. Others were dismissed. It is how these things go.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Judge pressing jurors to see if they are impartial - Belsnickel - 04-15-2024, 04:46 PM