Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Google has had enough with workplace activism?
(04-24-2024, 07:19 PM)Dill Wrote: We've been discussing something analogous on another thread.

If a company just manufactures widgets, how likely is it that employees
would protest a SCOTUS ruling on a woman's right to choose on their worksite?

Seems to me there is usually some kind of organic relation between company and protest.
E.g., What if the "company" is a news room?

Nowadays a lot of news organizations, from Fox to the NYT to NPR,
corporate to public, are dealing with employee "protests" of some sort or other.

In this case I'm curious as to why employees think that Google is participating in genocide,
if that was the basis of the protest. I'd want that answered before siding with bosses or workers.

Their mission statement is to "organize the world's information and make it universally accessible and useful."
Is that more like widget production or more like news reporting?

I'm pretty sure that 15-20 years ago that the percentage of the population with the skills to be attractive to a company like Google represented a relatively small portion of the general population, which made the people working those jobs extremely valuable at the time. The volume of people with technical skills today is astronomical compared to the days when Google was making it's name. Now, they don't need to tolerate activist tantrums in the workplace, as people with tech skills are now (seemingly) a dime a dozen.

As to the bolded section, I'd say that those employees were likely looking to leverage their employer to steer support to one side of the issue in question. Apparently, Google has decided that information is a commodity for all people, and now that the power of algorithms has been exposed, doing such things as steering public opinion has more of a liability factor involved.  Furthermore, how would Google be "participating in genocide" simply by offering the same services to all people?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Google has had enough with workplace activism? - SunsetBengal - 04-24-2024, 07:35 PM