Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
Biden suggest twice Uncle was eaten by cannibals in New Guinea
(04-25-2024, 02:22 PM)hollodero Wrote: Yeah well, I could never be as cynical as to become a party strategist. But if I were for the Dems, I would be very afraid of the GOP having a normal candidate to run against visibly too old Biden as well. So I understand the strategy a bit, even though it goes too far and is not exactly good for the country, but that kind of thinking might be inevitable or you just lose the presidency. In the end, what I take issue with is nominating Biden again in the first place, and then of course having to defend him when he claims stuff like his uncle got eaten by cannibals.

Yes, it's a shit show and everyone has some on them.

Quote:Fair enough, but then classifying the law as don't say gay just does not appear totally inaccurate on the surface. I would not really dare to judge the law one way or another really. Puberty hits early these days, and the age where it happens, imho, is the appropriate age to start having these discussions, and I don't trust all parents to do so. As for earlier, I could think of two reasons, one to warn against sexual predators (one can probably find some workarounds to sexuality in general in doing so), and secondly, what if Timmy has two daddys or two mommys. I would not know how to address it without touching the topic of homosexuality, one can substitute sexuality with love probably, but this imho is a topic that should not be avoided and banned completely, for little Timmy's sake. In that sense I don't know if the deSantis law does not go a tad too far, but I am no expert on any of this; I just don't think children are deeply traumatized by hearing about the concept of same-sex couples. However, I do think Timmy might get traumatized if other children call him a freak over his two daddys and the teachers can't correct the narrative.

It's intentionally inflammatory and disingenuous to label it as such, as it covers sex of any kind from being discussed.  Framing it as "don't say gay" heavily implies, if not outright states, that it only covers homosexual sexual topics.  As for being traumatized, you need to know that sexual topics are a rather more sensitive subject in the US than in Europe (you probably already knew this, I would guess).  The vast majority of parents are not going to be even a little ok with a child's first grade teacher discussing sexual topics with their kid, straight or gay.  As for your last point, kids will tease each other about whatever they think bothers the person being teased.  My twelve-year-old nephew was telling me yesterday about the drama regarding this girl, who is bisexual, being mad at her current boyfriend (of two days) because he doesn't respect her choices.  And everyone began teasing the "boyfriend" about it.  I think you can cover this by having teachers enforce treating each other respectfully, regardless of the topic.  Meaning it can be addressed by teachers as well as any other subject can in this regard.

Quote:Weird, I often feel the same way about Maher, despite being at least as left as he is I never really liked him until recently where he just keeps saying things that imho seem logical, common sense and in line with my own views, yet are seldomly addressed. Seems he's a valuable voice for the country these days.

I've enjoyed some of his stuff over the years, but, as I said, he was always much farther left leaning than I was.  He has the platform and the courage to call out the current bullshit, and good for him for opting to do so.  I stated in another thread that his now literally making the same points I have for years was rather personal validation of my position that I haven't changed much ideologically, but the people to my left have run away from me.  A point I know some here scoff at.

Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Biden suggest twice Uncle was eaten by cannibals in New Guinea - Sociopathicsteelerfan - 04-25-2024, 06:44 PM