Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
Biden suggest twice Uncle was eaten by cannibals in New Guinea
(04-26-2024, 12:24 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: I can't argue with any of this.  I would say that if you dislike the current climate then not contributing to it further would seem like the better move.

Maybe so. I guess it is hard to implement when you see your main and only opponent being wildly successful by being, among other thing, a walking hyperbole. Which again is not meant as a defense, it just seems these are just the times.

(04-26-2024, 12:24 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: It's certainly an interesting dichotomy.  I think at its foundation is parents are very concerned about other adults talking to their kids about sex and sexuality.  I think few parents are naïve about the exposure kids get to the topic on the internet and from their peers, but another adult assuming that role, even with good intentions, definitely rankles.  

Well, that might be the main difference of opinion, for I don't care all that much about parents being rankled. Not saying I don't mind at all, but it is not the argument that beats all other arguments. At times parents will be uncomfortable with many things, but if institutions were to consider all of these sensitivities there'd possibly be hardly a curriculum left.
But I am for sure for not being insensitive. Sure, don't talk to children about sex, that seems reasonable enough. But sexuality, that imho is a different issue. I just think deSantis' law takes it a notch too far, if indeed a teacher explaining that some men love other men could possibly end up in court. I can see how that makes people uncomfortable too.

(04-26-2024, 12:24 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Once you start reaching the extreme on either side authoritarianism is inevitable.  It does seem much more contradictory when it comes from the left, given what should be the core tenants of being a left leaning person.  I think we're on the return swing away from the left now and I'm legitimately concerned how far the swing to the right will be.  It will be welcome in areas like the criminal justice system, but I fear it will go after some of the hard fought gains made by the homosexual community.  It would be nice if people could find a nice middle ground and chill there.

Well, left and authoritarian never were mutually exclusive. But yeah, I am worried about the pendulum swing as well. And not to dismiss homosexual's rights as unimportant, I for one am afraid that would be the least of it. Unlike in former times, the extreme right wing goes after the very fabric of democracy itself these days, and it's not confined to the US. Hungary hits close to home for me, with his illiberate democracy system CPAC is so fond of, and ideas like that crop up everywhere. And they are increasingly popular while being more and more openly stated.
Just a shame when the other side runs a guy who talks about his uncle being eaten by cannibals. That sure is not helpful, like so many things.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Biden suggest twice Uncle was eaten by cannibals in New Guinea - hollodero - 04-26-2024, 02:44 PM