Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Supreme Court (finally) takes up Presidential Immunity
(04-26-2024, 12:32 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: I won't pretend to have listened to the whole session, but the difference between the liberal and conservative justices was rather interesting. Jackson and Sotomayor in particular were cutting off the attorneys mid sentence rather consistently.

I think Gorsuch made a very good point when he asked the Biden DOJ attorney if the Ag signed off on an action would that automatically make the POTUS immune to any potential future prosecution. The response was yes to which Gorsuch asked why wouldn't a POTUS just appoint an AG who would give him the green light on anything he wanted? I am, obviously, paraphrasing.

Yeah, the conservatives did plenty of cutting off as well. I am about 2/3rds through the whole recording at this point. LOL

I think Dreeben's response to that was actually pretty good, though (not sure if you heard that part). He responded that there is a constitutional check on that through the Senate's role of "advice and consent" when it comes to the appointment of cabinet officials. Which is really how it all should work. If only we had a functioning government.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Supreme Court (finally) takes up Presidential Immunity - Belsnickel - 04-26-2024, 03:13 PM