Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
Biden suggest twice Uncle was eaten by cannibals in New Guinea
(04-26-2024, 02:44 PM)hollodero Wrote: Maybe so. I guess it is hard to implement when you see your main and only opponent being wildly successful by being, among other thing, a walking hyperbole. Which again is not meant as a defense, it just seems these are just the times.

Yeah, again I can't really argue against this.  You've heard me say many times that Trump pulls out the ugly in everyone, including his opponents.

Quote:Well, that might be the main difference of opinion, for I don't care all that much about parents being rankled. Not saying I don't mind at all, but it is not the argument that beats all other arguments. At times parents will be uncomfortable with many things, but if institutions were to consider all of these sensitivities there'd possibly be hardly a curriculum left.
But I am for sure for not being insensitive. Sure, don't talk to children about sex, that seems reasonable enough. But sexuality, that imho is a different issue. I just think deSantis' law takes it a notch too far, if indeed a teacher explaining that some men love other men could possibly end up in court. I can see how that makes people uncomfortable too.

Here's the thing though, having been in this exact position as an adult I have a very hard time sympathizing with an adult who can't just tell a child that isn't an appropriate conversation for them to be having.  This isn't a case of speculation, I've been there, dozens of times.

Quote:Well, left and authoritarian never were mutually exclusive. But yeah, I am worried about the pendulum swing as well. And not to dismiss homosexual's rights as unimportant, I for one am afraid that would be the least of it. Unlike in former times, the extreme right wing goes after the very fabric of democracy itself these days, and it's not confined to the US. Hungary hits close to home for me, with his illiberate democracy system CPAC is so fond of, and ideas like that crop up everywhere. And they are increasingly popular while being more and more openly stated.
Just a shame when the other side runs a guy who talks about his uncle being eaten by cannibals. That sure is not helpful, like so many things.

There's a limit to how crazy one side can get without shedding followers.  There are plenty of ardent Trump supporters who would peel off if Trump made serious infringements on Constitutional freedoms.  I certainly hope we never get to the point that this point can be proven though.

Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Biden suggest twice Uncle was eaten by cannibals in New Guinea - Sociopathicsteelerfan - 04-26-2024, 06:07 PM