Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
53 Man Post Draft Way Too Early Projection
(04-28-2024, 07:34 PM)CJD Wrote: For context, the players from last year's roster that have already been or would be removed from the roster as part of this projection:

QB: AJ McCarron (released so he could play in another league)
RB: Joe Mixon (traded)
WR: Tyler Boyd (unsigned)
TE: Tanner Hudson, Mitchell Wilcox (signed elsewhere), Irv Smith Jr (Signed elsewhere)
OT: Jonah Williams (Signed elsewhere), D'Ante Smith
OG: Max Scharping (unsigned)
C: Trey Hill

DT: DJ Reader (signed elsewhere), Josh Tupou (unsigned), Jay Tufele
DE: Joseph Ossai
LB: Markus Bailey (unsigned), Devin Harper
CB: Jalen Davis, Chidobe Awuzie (signed elsewhere)
Safety: Nick Scott (cut), Tycen Anderson

ST: Brad Robbins (Good riddance)

Two changes I'd push back on would be cutting Joseph Ossai for Cedric Johnson and cutting Tycen Anderson for Daijahn Anthony. I am not one of these people that expect Ossai to break out this year, but I sincerely doubt they'd cut him for a 6th round rookie who is an athletic project. 

Anderson, it may come down to health. If he gets injured for a 3rd year in a row, they might just cut bait on him, but I find it more likely they'd keep him on the roster and stash Anthony on the PS for a year.

All over Hudson will depend on All's health. I could see him starting on the PUP and Hudson making the roster for the first half of the season before being demoted to the practice squad unless he's having a breakout year.

I'd also be surprised if they rolled with just 9 OL. They may roll with just 3 safeties since Hill could step in if needed due to injury to allow that 10th offensive lineman, which would be a backup guard. But that's nit picking the 51st or 52nd player on the roster haha.

Overall, this rookie class will have significantly upgraded this roster in almost every position.

Anthony might have the edge over Anderson.  Keep in mind that he played a good deal of both outside and slot CB in college.   For those back end of the roster guys, being able to fill in at multiple positions in a pinch is very valuable.

I could definitely see Ossai or Sample traded at the cut line.  If Sample doesn't get traded, I think Carter's spot on the 53 is in serious jeopardy.  He would be another trade candidate.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: 53 Man Post Draft Way Too Early Projection - Whatever - 04-29-2024, 12:13 PM