Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
Columbia Leaders Grilled at Antisemitism Hearing
(04-30-2024, 11:13 AM)Millhouse Wrote: One thing that is fascinating is how many on the left, particularly the far left seem to support Islam over Christianity and Judaism, which is just baffling to me when one looks over the world landscape of the countries dominated by those religions. Anyways though I am sure we may disagree on a few things, I will always be against all antisemites out there in the world, regardless if they are far left or far right. 

I don't think "the left" supports Islam over Christianity. Not sure whom you are referring to, but I think the confusion would be cleared up if you recognized "the left" generally protests human rights violations. That's what the current protests are about, same as previous ones against segregation in the US and Apartheid in South Africa. The fact that most of the five million people held under military occupation by Israel are Muslim is NOT what is motivating protests against the occupation.  Thousands of Palestinians are Christian too. It is the ongoing ethnic cleansing that upsets protestors.

(04-30-2024, 11:19 AM)Millhouse Wrote: I want the violence to end too. One thing to note with the younger generations, like college kids and younger, they weren't around when 9-11 occurred. And Jihadist groups such as Hamas who wants Israel and the U.S. destroyed, aren't probably perceived the same way as many of the rest of us who have deeper feelings towards those kind of groups, per say.

I was around when 9/11 occurred. I remember how Fox whipped up Islamophobia and  Bush/Cheney/Rumsfeld used that fear and anger to start an unnecessary war in Iraq, in which over 200,000 Muslims died. The Fox machine is working overtime now to intensify that Islamophobia to push US foreign policy in whatever direction Netanyahu wants. Hence the "pro-Hams protestors" tag.

Americans in general don't know a lot about the Middle East and US politics, a lot less than the British public, for example (I blame our press), so I think that makes them more reliant on stereotypes to interpret conflicts there.  Hamas hates Israel for driving Palestinians off their land and boxing them in Gaza like an open air prison, and they hate the US for its massive support of that project. The conflict between college protestors now and majority opinion in the US may be because many of those students know more about the occupation than their parents, just as in the '60s students tended to know more about the causes of the Vietnam War than their parents, who assumed it was all directed from Moscow. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Columbia Leaders Grilled at Antisemitism Hearing - Dill - 04-30-2024, 02:23 PM