Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
Columbia Leaders Grilled at Antisemitism Hearing
(04-30-2024, 11:30 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: You're both creeping up on the real problem here, and it's something I've pointed out earlier in this thread and it was run away from.  I do not think most of the protestors are bigots.  I do not think most of the protestors are pro-Hamas.  I do think most of the protestors aren't very informed about what they're protesting, but that's not the point I'm going to make.  The problem is that a not insignificant percentage of them are bigots and are pro-Hamas.  What's the percentage?  Based on what I've seen and heard I'd say it's probably about 20-30%.  That's not an insignificant number.  And that percentage is not repudiated and shunned by the rest, they wouldn't dare.  Take the Columbia student who outright called for the murder of anyone who opposed his beliefs, he got a meeting with Omar and a hug from her daughter days later.

There is a rot at the heart of these protests, and it is spreading.  The longer these campuses ***** out on dealing with these encampments the more bold they will grow and the likelihood this spreads into summer (just like 2020) grows.  These school are in clear violation of federal law that requires they provide a safe learning environment free of intimidation and bigotry.

Until the left leaning posters here actually acknowledge that there are a sizeable number of not very good people involved in these protests they're going to continue to look bad and, at the very least tacitly condone their antisemitisim. 

I remember not too long ago when the corrupt/bad leadership of a organization promoting a different amendment was enough for a state's Attoney General to try to get that entire organization dissolved. Wasn't a good move then, isn't a good move now.

Keep identifying and removing the people responsible for actual antisemitism and people who are actually preaching violence, but otherwise I think we just need to accept that allowing protests and demonstrations in public spaces are vital and necessary even if you don't agree with them. Once we start deciding what subjects we do and don't allow free speech and assembly on under the guise of needing safe environments you've already begun to lose it.

I could see limiting the protests to those who are actually students at that campus. You could probably make a case that it isn't a public space for those who aren't enrolled there. I just think even if they aren't well informed or even well intentioned, so long as they don't break the barrier of free speech, you just need to let them continue so long as they're in those public spaces and not in classrooms or offices and the like.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Columbia Leaders Grilled at Antisemitism Hearing - TheLeonardLeap - 04-30-2024, 03:07 PM