Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
2024 Bengals Free Agency/Roster Thread
Tier 3: Potential Improvement: Higher ceiling, Lower Floor; Higher floor, lower ceiling.

7. Wide Receiver.

Boyd has left the building. Yes, it was his worst year last year, but even so, he brang a level of professionalism & dependability to the slot.

Chase, Higgins (presumably), Irwin, Iosivas, and Jones all return. As do PS guys Jackson, Lassiter, and Pryor.

3rd round pick Burton brings potential first round upside but there is a bust risk with the maturity issues. UDFA's Burgess and Mosley also are additions.

I think we got more explosive with Burton. And Burgess. And with Chick Sizzle & Yoshi getting more snaps. We have more lineup flexibility and explosive guys out there. We should be more unpredictable. But that holds from a production standpoint as well.

If Burton hits and Yoshi & Jones level up, and Higgins has a bounce back year, lookout. BIG upgrade possible. And I kind of like Jackson & Burgess down in PS land.

I think this shouod be an upgrade, potentially a bolig one, but I am not at all certain.

8. Defensive End

The top 5 from last year all return: Hendrickson, Hubbard, Murphy, Sample, and Ossai. PS guy and former 53er Gunter is also back.

We drafted 6th rounder Cedric Johnson out of Ole Miss and brought in UDFA Blazek.

The improvement I expect is from Hubbard & Ossai being healthier and Murphy leveling up. And if we get something from the other raw/new guys (Gunter, Johnson, Blazek) it is a bonus.

If Murphy starts playing like a first rounder, Ossai like he did vs KC in the POs, and Hubbard back to his old self, this group will be significantly better. That is a lot of ifs, though. And if Hendrickson pouts instead of plays it could go the other way. Significantly.

9. Running Back

Mixon out, Moss in. Brown, Williams, & Evans back. Cain & Collins as USFA's.

I think the variance here is smaller than at WR. Mixon gave you durability, ball security, and good pass catching out of the backfield. Moss will give you better pass protection and is pretty productive out of the gun.

Hopefully Brown takes a step forward. Or Evans. Cain maybe a bigger back option.

I don't see as much potential for upside at RB as WR or DE. I am not sure Moss is an upgrade over Mixon. But he is a better pass protector. If that can keep Drew Sample off the field in passing situations, that's a net positive already.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: 2024 Bengals Free Agency/Roster Thread - Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 - 05-12-2024, 04:07 PM