Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Trump's Plans for the Oil Industry
(05-15-2024, 11:04 AM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: I doubt the R's can win a Triple Crown (POTUS, House and Senate) so there will be one area that will refuse to do anything and keep us in the stalemate we are in. If they somehow do? then we can circle back around and discuss it.

Agreed, with a democratic-led senate there's probably little he could do. But imho it is far from impossible to think Trump wins POTUS and has a republican senate where no one's willing to stand up to him. It was pretty close to that at the beginning of his first presidency, he just relied on moderate folks like Priebus et al. back then. There will be no moderate politician in his next admin, only extreme loyalists and stolen election apologists, he promised as much and I believe him on that.

(05-15-2024, 11:04 AM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: I don't think it matters what Trump does anyways. The media will find a way to relate it to Democracy is DOOMED! 
Just like they are doing now with everything he does say and even with what he doesn't say.

Sure, we always can revert the discussion back to the media, and you can always say how they are sensationalistic, hyperbolic, biased, fearmongering and whatnot, and you'd be correct about that every single time. But imho you can't just make everything about faulty media narratives. There's still a reality outside of the media buzz, thre's still the things Trump actually does say and do and they are the source of my concern, not Wolf Blitzer et al.

But sure. I doubt that Trump actually is able to finish democracy and implement an authoritarian system. I have little doubt that that would be his intention though, and imho that's bad enough. And your constitution is not a foolproof safeguard, no constitution is, and the US one seems to rely particularly heavy on goodwill, interpretation, norms and long-standing practices more than written law, things that can all be shattered. But mostly, every democracy is in danger if a majority of people is not so keen on keeping it, and MAGA world seems to heavily flirt with the idea of a president Trump with more or less absolute power. And the overwhelming rest of conservative voters just swallows that/distracts by pointing to the media/belittles the issue.

I have seen it happening before a few cilometers away in Hungary, sure a different country by all means, but there were some similarities to the US situation. And boy nearly everyone just ridiculed the idea that they could become authoritarian a few years back, it was called hysterical, for they are in the EU, have a constitution and a SC, plus people don't want that, how could that ever be possible? Well, all it took was a populist creating a system where loyalty is more important than duty to the country and the constitution, everyone in disagreement got ousted and that was that, and imho in the end a non-vigilant population is to blame.

Lastly, no problem for me if you disagree with everything, but just don't call me an extremist spouting dumbness.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
Trump's Plans for the Oil Industry - Stewy - 05-09-2024, 02:16 PM
RE: Trump's Plans for the Oil Industry - hollodero - 05-15-2024, 12:29 PM