Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Ohio has a law to make illegal protesters wearing a mask/hood a felony
(05-15-2024, 11:54 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: I believe that's...
-white caps
-mask
-other disguises
Not... 
White: caps, masks, or other disguises
As that would almost certainly be written as "while wearing caps, masks, or other disguises that are white".
But I might be mistaken and even if I am not I could absolutely see a defense attorney using that as an argument later.
I think my biggest problem with it is I don't think it should be an escalator for any non-violent crime as that seems like it has the potential for abuse and weird cases of people getting massive sentences for minor and petty crimes. I will disagree with you that it's an "outdated" law. The KKK had a demonstration in Cincinnati in my lifetime and I am in my 30s.

Ultimately it seems a bit like body armor. It's not illegal to wear body armor, but I am pretty sure in most states if you wear it while doing a violent felony it's an escalator. 

A good answer.  I'm not against using masks as "escalators," but I think the crime so enhanced needs already to be a felony, something like smashing storefront windows, torching vehicles and assaulting police or counter protestors with weapons.

I don't think it should be used to create a felony where none would otherwise be, especially by a DOJ who has his own ideas about causes are legitimate to protest.

By the way, CNN had a segment last night in which they interviewed violence-inclined counter-protestors from the UCLA clases, one of whom wore a white mask and a white hoodie. Colors matter! LOL   Anyway, this guy is a senior at a local high school and wants to go join the IDF after he graduates.
https://www.cnn.com/2024/05/16/us/ucla-student-protests-counterprotesters-invs/index.html
[Image: 6000.jpg?width=1200&quality=85&auto=form...44e1fc881e]
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Ohio has a law to make illegal protesters wearing a mask/hood a felony - Dill - 05-16-2024, 05:05 PM