Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 1.8 Average
Tee is now the only tagged player without a new deal
(05-16-2024, 11:58 AM)CJD Wrote: The person I quoted is definitely a Tee hater. He said "riiiiiiiigggggggghhhhhhhhhttt" when I said Higgins is better than Devonta Smith, which should not be a controversial opinion. Especially from a Bengals fan's perspective.

Through the first 3 seasons of each player's career, they've had nearly identical statistics.
50 Games, 240 receptions, 352 targets, 3178 yards, 19 touchdowns, 147 first downs for Smith.

46 Games, 215 receptions, 327 targets, 3028 yards, 19 touchdowns, 151 first downs for Higgins.

They've both been #2 receivers behind an alpha receivers for the majority of their careers (outside of their rookie years), and both have been playing with elite QBs for the majority of their careers (minus Joe Burrow's injuries and Jalen Hurts' adjustment period to the NFL).

I personally prefer Higgins' style of receiver and think he works perfectly well with Burrow. He makes outstanding grabs in triple coverage that I don't think Smith is capable of making. I would not trade Higgins for Smith, because I think Higgins is the better receiver.

Higgins has had a few minor injuries, but nothing that has taken him out for long stretched of time. Just aches and bruises where he misses 1 to 2 games here and there. If that scares you off, then just never sign anyone long term, because this could happen to any player.

Through his first three seasons, he missed a total of 4 games and I think 1 or 2 of those were at the end of the season when we had already clinched the playoffs, but I don't remember for sure.

Bottomline is if you think Smith is worth 25M AAV, you should think Higgins is worth 25M AAV.

Now, if he said, "Yes, but Smith was overpaid" then I'd at least understand where he was coming from. But he sarcastically and condescendingly implied I'm a moron for even thinking Higgins is better than Smith.

The elephant in the room is Higgins 2023 season. He had a few more injuries than usual, missing 5 games, and Burrow's injury led to his worst season. But even then, he only missed 5 games. I don't think his injury concerns are on the scale of lost years. It's just lost games, which our offense is designed to handle.

I would also understand if Whatever said, "If I'm spending 25M AAV on a receiver, I expect him to never miss a game ever."
It would be a silly statement, but at least he would be saying something of value and would purvey his thoughts on why he would not want to extend Higgins.

But, again, all I got was a series of condescending nonsense responses.

You, rfaulk34, may not be a Tee hater, but that doesn't mean there aren't any here.

Look at the contract details...34 mil guaranteed...minimal cap hits and spread out over like 8 years...voidable year...Bengals don't do that 
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Tee is now the only tagged player without a new deal - spazz70 - 05-16-2024, 05:09 PM