Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ACA Effectiveness on Uninsured
Getting people insured is a huge accomplishment, but keeping it affordable for 'meaningful coverage' is a healthcare reform act shortfall.

I don't know if you see it in your area, but where I live (Northern Kentucky) we have one organization, St. Elizabeth, that owns every medical service - hospitals, doctors, labs. The only competition is if you cross the river into Ohio, and when you do that you must remain in the network your insurer has established. No real cost control that one can see; just a monopoly. And that's an aspect that bothers me the most. No cost control, and no opportunity to shop around in the community in which I live.

Another cost aspect is the over-charging that occurs from St. Elizabeth, one that I personally experienced. After auditing a bill with the hospital. it went down over 20% after eliminating multiple charges for the same item, and eliminating line items for services not rendered.

Making healthcare available to all, plus establishing minimum coverage that makes sense are but two items that are necessary. Affordability for services and pharmaceuticals have yet to be addressed, at least not effectively. If you ever do get to see the detailed costs, it won't be a pretty picture regarding the impact on the average citizen.
Some say you can place your ear next to his, and hear the ocean ....

[Image: 6QSgU8D.gif?1]

Messages In This Thread
RE: ACA Effectiveness on Uninsured - wildcats forever - 01-06-2016, 02:18 PM