Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Harrison Butker | Commencement Address 2024
(05-22-2024, 11:00 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: I'm about as far from Catholic as it gets, but I see absolutely nothing in his speech that should spark any outrage, let alone the levels of vitriol he's been receiving.  The man stated his opinion and didn't denigrate anyone else.  He's also a professional athlete, not a politician.  He's up there on his own time, representing himself.  Anyone upset about this is overreacting.

Well, as a recovering Catholic I can see where a lot of people would consider his speech as speaking down to women, saying men are more important and that without God we are doomed...which implies that we need to push god into our public discourse and laws.

I do NOT disagree with you that it was his opinion and his own time and probably the kind of things said every day in classrooms on that campus.

I just also see where when people are that honest they have to know that there will be backlash from people who disagree with them and people defending him (sometime rightfully so, sometimes also overreacting) seem to think it just "proves" him right.

My cavate would be that while he is representing himself we all know that if we do something in public, on our own time, that receives this much press our employer can be. fairly or unfairly, dragged into the conversation.  I'm sure the Chiefs would rather not have to deal with any of it too.  And again, right or wrong.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Harrison Butker | Commencement Address 2024 - GMDino - 05-22-2024, 11:26 AM