Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Harrison Butker | Commencement Address 2024
(05-22-2024, 11:23 AM)CKwi88 Wrote: It's a catholic school commencement address, you kind of expect the sort of stuff he says to come out. IMO, mostly eyeroll worthy content. The most being the whole "but I would venture to guess that the majority of you are most excited about your marriage and the children you will bring into this world" line. Projecting your desires/expectations/values onto others is about as cringeworthy as it gets.

It's whatever. He's an authority on kicking a prolate spheroid through beams that are 18.5 feet apart, nothing else.

I've never wanted kids, even from an early age.  But I can understand the desire and my nephews are amazing.  Raising children is the most important thing an adult can do.  So yeah, I can see it being cringe for some, but I also think it accurately reflects a lot of people, especially ones going to a Catholic university.

(05-22-2024, 11:26 AM)GMDino Wrote: Well, as a recovering Catholic I can see where a lot of people would consider his speech as speaking down to women, saying men are more important and that without God we are doomed...which implies that we need to push god into our public discourse and laws.

I do NOT disagree with you that it was his opinion and his own time and probably the kind of things said every day in classrooms on that campus.

I just also see where when people are that honest they have to know that there will be backlash from people who disagree with them and people defending him (sometime rightfully so, sometimes also overreacting) seem to think it just "proves" him right.

My cavate would be that while he is representing himself we all know that if we do something in public, on our own time, that receives this much press our employer can be. fairly or unfairly, dragged into the conversation.  I'm sure the Chiefs would rather not have to deal with any of it too.  And again, right or wrong.

The Chiefs can squash it by issuing a statement that Butker was on his private time, representing himself and that the views expressed are his.  Again, he didn't say anything crazy, he didn't denigrate anyone.  His views are rather in line with the Catholic faith and he was speaking at a Catholic school.  Honestly, the outrage against him could be perceived as more bigoted than anything he stated.

Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Harrison Butker | Commencement Address 2024 - Sociopathicsteelerfan - 05-22-2024, 11:35 AM